• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Borg Warner 1350 shift linkage question

Deadkid9110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm swapping the old 2.8l V6 for a 5.0 in my '85 Ranger. I'm going to use a C4 + Advance Adapter housing to mate it with the original BW1350 t-case. I'll throw this out there, I do not know jack sh*t about transmissions and transfer cases. When I was removing the old 5-speed transmission, I think I sawzall'd off the shifter linkage to the transfer case. Do I need this?

I'm only asking because the ranger will not be a daily driver pickup. It will be a fun messing around truck when it snows, and occasionally it will see mud. Maybe driven daily once in a while when I am working on my other vehicles. For the most part, the only reason I'm trying to get it running is to get it out of my garage.

My idea is that I could put the transfer case in 4x4, leave it there, and just adjust the manual lockout hubs if I really need to switch it between 2wd and 4wd. Besides ridicule for not doing it the "proper" way, will I run into any problems going this route? can I even do this?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Ya you want the linkage, unless you dont want to ever use 4lo.

Also you going to be keeping the d28 under the front? It may not like (okay it wont) like a 5.0 on trails, mud, etc... that is assuming that the truck is still stock and all you have done is what you said up above.

Deadkid9110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the reply. I do not plan on using 4-low, and I only plan on going through mud "puddles", so to speak. Nothing major, a 5.0 and some stock 235/75/15's should be able to climb out of easily. If I get stuck, I'm usually with some buddies anyways. ;)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A new linkage shouldn't set you back more than $20 from a JY.

You will wear out u-joints all around the front end faster but it shouldn't really hurt anything.

I bet you spent more time chewing through it with a sawzall than if you would have just taken out two bolts and slipped it off...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals