• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bolt size of the 3 Y-pipe-to-cat flange fasteners?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Searched this forum, found about every bolt UPstream of what I'm after.

On the 3.0, it's the flange shaped like this: (rotate it 90deg clockwise in your head... recognize it now?)

i.e. to replace that gasket, I'm going to have to replace the very rusted bolts and nuts. I'd like to buy 'em before truck is out of action. Thanks in advance.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, obviously what happened here is EVERYONE pounced in with the answer SIMULTANEOUSLY, which crashed the TRS/Jim Oaks/959 server... hope it reboots... lol. :dunno:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I usually just go buy a couple 10mm by 20 mm long bolts and nuts with some washers.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Cool, thanks. I just figured the holes in the flanges were not going to be quite as large/sloppy as those in the gasket.

trikerider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Jeez, good luck getting the studs out of the cat flange the studs of my '94 V6 wrung into (lucky the 2 most inaccesible ones) and the bottom broke loose after a 3hr soak with PB blaster (this is good stuff)
the studs would not drive out of the flange I had to drill them and burnt up 3 drill bits doing it and used about a cup-ful of X19-A (another good canned lube) the studs are grade 8 and do work harden when they get hot.
but I got them out and drilled the cat flange to take 3/8" zinced grade 5 bolts whgicvh did fine I had to glue the topmost nut to a piece of rod bent in a semi-U shape to get it to the bolt.
if the tailpipe to cat flange is rotten good luck I had to 'adapt' a universal flange to fit I sawed the tailpipe in 2 pieces to rtemove. a biatch of a job

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you heat the studs until they glow you can usually beat them out fairly easily.

Once you get them out you'll realize that they are essentially miniature "wheel studs"
with a serrated shoulder

But the original thread size is 10mm x 1.50

I replaced mine with Monel bolts and stainless steel nuts, smeared liberally
with Moly never-seeze, even though these bolts CANNOT corrode together.

AD

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
OUTSTANDING technical and real life info! Guess since this joint is not leaking (AFAIK), and this was prompted only by my desire to do a rust-prevention paint job on the expensive cats, I'll figure a way to paint-in-place... got LOTS of masking tape, and a big roll of brown paper, lol.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i torched mine off some time ago & replaced them with 8 mm bolts i think. just had to do a clutch job & they were rusted badly, so i zapped them with a torch & when it was put back together i used 1/4-20 by 2" s.s. bolts. they hold it together good enough. , heck my flanges are gone on the Y pipe & are helt to the manifolds by 3 hose clamps each, one on both the manifold & the pipe, the third pulling the two together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals