• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body work tips on a tailgate

Samzwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hey there, I just picked up a new-to-me tailgate for my '87 Ranger and I'm looking for tips on either pulling dents out or filling them. Trying to get the tailgate looking as close to new as possible but have very little experience with body work. Pictures to follow, need to post them from my phone.

Samzwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
few different angles here. First pic is after I’ve installed it on my truck and replaced the handle, latches, and rods inside. Looking to fix the dents on the top, the rest of the tailgate looks fairly dent free and should look great after sanding, etc. planning to cut some metal off the old tailgate to fill the rust hole. Thanks for taking a look 👍🏼

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
On the top of the gate, the easy way out would be to add a tailgate protector strip over the dents.

Samzwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
On the top of the gate, the easy way out would be to add a tailgate protector strip over the dents.
I've considered putting a strip of diamond plating over it to match the bedside rails, but would like to fix it if possible! thanks for the suggestion

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd get one of those stud welder deals... the one Harbor Freight sells includes a slide hammer. Works pretty well for shallow dents. A little filler there will be fine but I'd try to avoid using a lot - bump one thing into it while putting something in the back of the truck and it'll crack. I second the tailgate protector idea too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals