• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body swap

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1999 Ranger 4x4 short bed single cab with the 3.0L V6 (vin code V). About a month and a half ago I rolled it and since I don't have collision I am up the proverbial creek. Since the motor only has 108k on it I am definitely not throwing it into the junkyard with a perfectly good motor. Well a couple of weeks ago I found a 2005 Ranger that had the same size motor and I only paid $300 for it. Upon closer inspection I realized that it used to be a work truck for a pool company and the frame is almost completely gone underneath the bed. So it went from a simple engine swap (the one in the newer ranger was sitting in the bed) to a more complicated body swap. The main problem that I am having is that since my older ranger is a 4WD and the newer one is a RWD there are some issues with the wiring harnesses both where it goes into the cab from the engine compartment and where it comes out from underneath the cab. Is there some kind of adapter available that will allow me to get around this issue or am I just travelling further up the creek. Any input would be greatly appreciated and please be honest. Thanks in advance.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are both trucks regular cab, short bed? Do you really want to keep 4wd?

If the answer to the first is no, then you have a problem where the new body won't bolt to the old frame. Still might be fixable but won't be quite as easy, relatively speaking. If they are the same then you are off to a good start.

If you want to keep 4wd the easiest way to do it will probably be to swap all the wiring harness and electronics from the old cab into the new one. It'll be a job, but it would be the easiest way to keep 4wd. I found this thread real quick where someone did the same thing, might give you an idea of what you are getting into.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/project-logs/27592-02-ranger-cab-swap.html

I know people here have done the same thing, this was just one I found quickly on google.

The other option if you did not want to keep 4wd would be Basically turn the 2005 into a 2wd Edge. Remove the front differential, driveshaft, and axles from the 98 frame. Install steering knuckle assemblies from a 2wd torsion bar Ranger. Then swap the 2005 body and complete electrical system onto the 98 frame, using the 2005 2wd transmission and driveshaft with your motor.

I'm not sure that one would be any easier or less time consuming than the other. I think I'd keep the 4wd if I'm making it a project.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why would you not keep 4wd?

3L is a high-winder...nm.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
It is possible to use the newer cab. You will need to cut the hole in the firewall for the old wiring and use the old dash or transfer the old wiring to the new dash, along with the gauge cluster. The frame attachment points are the same 4x2 vs 4x4 so that is a non issue.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you guys for all of your input so far. Yes Josh the 2005 is also a single cab short bed. Would it just be simpler relatively speaking to just swap out the whole interior because I was going to do that anyway. This is something that I want to take my time with because I don't want to mess anything up. I already have the cab and bed off of the red Ranger (thats my 99) but we haven't started on the white one (2005 ranger) just yet because if it won't work properly then we just won't go for it.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Yes, that would be the way I would do it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I was going to change out the interior anyway because practically the whole interior is all cut up and I like my other interior better.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep I'd say to gut the white cab, remove anything the can be removed. Mount it onto the 99 frame. Then swap everything from the 99 cab into the white cab.

Being that the cabs are 1999 and 2005 I doubt that you'll have to cut anything, everything will most likely just bolt in.

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking the same thing but i wasn't so sure that it would be that easy considering how complicated of a job that this is.

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will keep everyone updated and probably continue asking for advice as I go along.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
good luck on the swap. what are your plans for the "pool trucks" motor? and more importantly, what city are you near? I'm sort of interested in a 3.0 to tear down and play with, doesn't need to be a perfect engine.

is the 99 a flex fuel truck? the 05 probably not. there are differences in the fuel systems between flex fuel and non flex. that also means wires from the flex sensor to the PCM are different.

is the 05 front coils or torsion bars suspension? the differences between the two prevent swapping front suspension parts, like upper control arms, spindles, front shocks.

Perry

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Manual t-case and Rugged Ridge lockouts or live front axle and forget the wiring. That is how I would do it. :icon_thumby:

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have some bad news for you Perry. Yes the engine from the pool truck is in my possession, but when i got it the truck, the motor was already sitting in the bed with both of the heads removed and it had been sitting there for a while. I am near Gainesville, FL by the way.

The New Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Besides getting them from the dealership, where can I get some body mounts.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Energy Suspension offers a full polyurethane kit w/ hardware, but you probably won't like the price. Part# 4.4117G

LMC Truck may have regular rubber replacements for the 98+, haven't looked for anything that new in the catalog.

Possibly an online ford parts dealer, might have better prices than the local stealership.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals