• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

body lift ?'s and leveling kit(pics helpful)

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, i know ive been asking a lot of questions here the last couple days but im really getting in to the b2, so next weekend after i do the d35 and 8.8 swap i wanna do a body lift. (its an 89) and when i do so, will i have to notch the floor for the manual tcase? and i have no frront bumper and only part of the rear bumper and will soon be building a big rear bumper and putting on my brushguard on the front so i dont care about the gaps. and what are some of your guys ideas for gapguards?i heard about someone using shingles and just turning them around backwards so you cant actually see the shingle. i thought it would be pretty weird but it might work.
and if i put on some 2" leveling coils would the tires be like this \ / alot?
thanks

bsmithbyitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anytime you put different sized coil springs or leveling kits on them the tires will bow either in or out depending on if they are bigger or smaller....to straighten it out just have it aligned.

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
but this truck isnt liscened and wont be for a while so it will be hard to get her in to town to get aligned?

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
Driving around with the caster/camber and toe in/out will put more strain on the steering box and all other components, cutting their life expectancy way down, plus it will want to steer crazy. It won't matter if you are driving on the farm or on the pavement, get the front end aligned.

Ray

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
im not saying i wont get her aligned cause im not driving on pavement i mean how can i get her aligned i dont want to tow her to town and push her in the garage and tow her all the way back home

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not saying i wont get her aligned cause im not driving on pavement i mean how can i get her aligned i dont want to tow her to town and push her in the garage and tow her all the way back home
just throw a set of plates on it and drive it to the shop drive

wantaranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
well i just thought about a garage thats just down the road from me ill see if they do alignments. but while im putting in the d35 i might just put the drop brackets in then
thanks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
When I installed my 132xs skyjacker 2"-2.5" springs I had a shop install camber bushings, you can get a set for about 70bucks anywhere. They are not that hard to install, skyjacker has downloadable instructions on there website.
132xs springs were designed for a ranger super(extra cab) with the 4.0l. My truck is a single cab with a 2.9l so I got a full 2.5" of lift. the camber bushing fixed most of the issue, but Im still about 1/2 a deg off.... The only way to fix this is drop brackets, Tuff counrty offers a set for 2.5" of lift, but they are spendy.(About $235) On Ebay there is Tuff Country 3" lifts with everything you need to complete the job minus shocks for about $270 shipped. This would be a better way to go.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From most of what I've heard, with tuff country, you get what you pay for... for heavy off roading, no-go, but for Daily driver, TC would be fine...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I have never had any issues with Stump jumping Tuff country kits, we have used them on all kinds of rigs, from fullsize chevys to little rangers.
They make good parts. Dont bash it unless you have used it.

EDIT: Looks like its a rough country kit not tuff country?

Last edited:

Xandor

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89, 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
When I installed my 132xs skyjacker 2"-2.5" springs I had a shop install camber bushings, you can get a set for about 70bucks anywhere. They are not that hard to install, skyjacker has downloadable instructions on there website.
132xs springs were designed for a ranger super(extra cab) with the 4.0l. My truck is a single cab with a 2.9l so I got a full 2.5" of lift. the camber bushing fixed most of the issue, but Im still about 1/2 a deg off.... The only way to fix this is drop brackets, Tuff counrty offers a set for 2.5" of lift, but they are spendy.(About $235) On Ebay there is Tuff Country 3" lifts with everything you need to complete the job minus shocks for about $270 shipped. This would be a better way to go.
I have them very springs sitting in my garage. Bought em to put them on my BII then the wife rolled it last week so there just sitting there.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You asked about gap guards, I have never heard of using shingles. I do have a few friends who have used rubber inner tubes. Cut it to fit and attach on the top and bottom, has some give and actually looks good.

Ron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
LOL, So what your saying is you have $150 just sitting in the garage? LOL DAMN HER!!! joking.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Here, I went out and took some pictures the first is how off the camber is, second is the cam bushing, I will most likly be changing over to a 3"kit soon.

Went shooting the other day, Damn mud keeps finding its way on my truck.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wouldn't it be easier to install the lift at the same time as the axles? I mean, doesn't doing them at different times roughly mean you are doing the same job twice?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals