• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bob and dovetail ?'s

Big ugly 85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
ive been searching the site for a few hours now, and havent found any threads on bobbing and dovetailing a first gen ranger. even searched pbb and got nothing. I read some toyota bob and dove threads but i know there is alot more to ranger bead than toyota beds. any advice is appreciated, pics are more appreciated!:icon_confused:

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Bobing

take a look through the treads of the previous off-road trucks of the month. there are a few guys in there that have bobbed their beds and or chopped.

Big ugly 85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
What about dovetail builds?

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Bob first then dovetail. Do a little trig and figure out how long to make the bedsides to match the dove cuts.
If you are bobbing a shortbox you will probably have to relocate the rear axle forward as there really isnt that much room behind the shackle mounts to cut out. Then you can easily bob the front of the bed and if you choose the rear of the bed to a length of your liking.

Single cab longboxes are easier and bob as you can cut 11-12" from the frame and about 13" from the bed without moving the rear axle location giving a decent departure angle.

One thing to keep in mind when doing either is the bed bolt locations and the bed reinforcement sheet steel underneath the bed. Ill get some pics up in a few.

Big ugly 85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
What about dovetail builds?

Big ugly 85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
^oops.
I have done the 63 swap so I wanna bob it to the point where my shackles hang out past the tail gate. I can bob it almost 10", and then I'm gonna dove it to the frame rails.

Big ugly 85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know who owns the blue 1st gen ex cab, that is Doved and bobbed? I saw it in a thread where some posted pics of a bunch of bobs and now I can't find it. I would like to find out who's it is so I can pm them...

7.3dieselranger

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3l idi diesel
Transmission
Automatic
here is my build of my bed it is done now besides finishing the inside so stuff doesnt fall out the sides.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117248
there are also pictures in there of my front dove tail but to let you know i dont have any coolers or anything in the core support so i didnt have to worry about making it work for the road

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals