• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Blown head?

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
So I bought a second ranger last night and it died 24 miles from where I bought it. Checked all the fluids and it looked good. Radiator water was rusty but I let it idle for 15 minutes and it didn't get hot. drove it hard for another 15 minutes then let it idle some more. seemed good bought the truck and started driving home. everything was going well till I heard a chirping noise under my feet then 30-45 seconds later the motor shut off. I got out to look and the radiator was bone dry and the truck wouldn't start it was sitting in a puddle of oily water. lost maybe 1/2 pint of oil and a bunch of water doesn't seem to be holding new water. Truck cranks over easy won't start. I'm thinking the water pump crapped out and that I have a 2-3 head gasket blown. No CEL is on and temp gauge never went up. I'll check compression tonight, but here is my question. I'm assuming I'll need a head and gasket and since this is a 97 2.3 I know I have some options that may be an improvement. will I get a bit of power out of a 01 or later head? Do I need a new computer to match the new cam or will it just bolt in and run? Is there a Mustang head I can run? is that a better option? I'm not building a race3car, but if I can buy other factory parts that will make more power I'd like to. I will probably take this opportunity for a 3-way valve job and mild port and polish and maybe port match my intake.

Any thoughts on what went wrong? Best solutions?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I would check to see if the timing belt is still there before doing anything...

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
It’s there. So is serpentine belt.

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Thinking about jumping to a 2.5L head off a 01 2.3. I hear there were some changes to the head a cam. Will this head make any more power over my 97 head? When I get it I will magnaflux it, mill it, and am considering a 3-way valve job. I'd be happy with even 5-7 HP. Mostly trying to freshen the motor up recover or improve the overall HP and improve the fuel economy.

I have a 2 1/4" high flow cat and 2 1/4" cat-back on it already. Its not a race truck I pull my boat and commute in it. just want a solid running truck and I want it to be all it can be. lol

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Brad!
Fred here!
How did the compression test go?
(My guess: 170/0/0/170)

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Gonna year it Saturday. I’ve been busy at work. ABC Auto is going to magnaflux and mill my head plus a 3 way valve job for 250. I may gasket match it myself. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals