• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blown Engine *Camshaft Synchronizer Failure

SVTCOBRA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The camshaft synchronizer on my 2006 Ranger failed on the highway at 70 mph. Engine cut out and now it won't turn over... I've tried spinning the engine by hand but it won't budge, not sure how hard it's supposed to be but it seems like it's completely seized up. What kind of damage should I expect? I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and rebuild?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds bad if you can't spin the engine by hand. Did you try removing spark plugs? What engine is it?

The problem is that the cam synch shaft also rotates the oil pump. So, on a complete failure of the gear on that shaft, you lose lubrication to the engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

Engine shouldn't stall if cam sensor stops working, so the most likely scenario, is that the Cam synchro unit(oil pump drive) failed, gear roll pin broke maybe, and then the CEL(check engine light) came on indicating no Cam signal
Then the engine slowly lost power as main bearings heated up(oil is the coolant, not just for lubrication), slowly is a relative term here, could be under a minute
Then engine stalled and bearings are now welded to crank and journals so crank can't be turned

Yes, engine is toasted, can be rebuilt but might be less expensive to find a used 3.0l Vulcan engine
1999 to 2008 would be best, from Ranger or Mazda B3000
2WD or 4x4 don't matter, and manual or automatic also doesn't matter
Avoid 2004-2006 3.0ls because heads can be bad, exhaust valve issues
You will probably need to swap over some of your 2006 external parts to the used engine to match your 2006 wiring plug ins, thats done by a piece by piece check

car-part.com is a good place to check prices in your area for used car/truck parts, including whole engines

Last edited:

SVTCOBRA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds bad if you can't spin the engine by hand. Did you try removing spark plugs? What engine is it?

The problem is that the cam synch shaft also rotates the oil pump. So, on a complete failure of the gear on that shaft, you lose lubrication to the engine.
Yeah, I was hoping that I could just replace the synchronizer and all would be well. I didn't remove the plugs, would that make much of a difference when trying to turn over by hand?'... It's the 3.0 by the way.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I didn't remove the plugs, would that make much of a difference when trying to turn over by hand?'
That just removes compression to make it easier to turn. But if it's seized bad, you won't turn it anyway.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Crank should turn either way, so even if it was on a compression stroke you could turn it the other way easily, by hand
Assuming NOT a manual transmission that's "in gear", lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals