• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blown 393 stroker Yes or no?

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking about a future drag rig. Would putting a blower on a 393 stroker be a bad idea? I don't know if the stroker kit will weaken the engine or not?

Slipknotyk_Chyld

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It'll fit but most transmission options won't handle it

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
But I shouldn't be worried about the engine? I don't know much about stroker kits but it seems like they would weaken the engine. Is there a way of modifying a big block tranny to fit like change the bell housing.

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can get a c-4 or c-6 to handle that kind of power.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The factory 9.2" deck height small block with 2 bolt mains will usually crack around 600hp. May want to look into an aftermarket siamese bore block. I would prefer to build a 4.125" bore x 4.000" stroke small block ford as most high performance cylinder heads are flow-tested with a 4.125" bore instead of the 4.030 bore. When running a 2.05 or 2.08 intake valve you can bet the valve will be shrouded and cramped.

There are plenty of transmissions you can choose from that will handle this power. Cheap transmissions??? Well you can probably find a C4 that will handle 800-1000hp for under $2000. Lentech builds some nice autos, also.

Biggest issue is going to be traction and frame twist. The drivetrains have been built before, but the frame will need to be boxed, cross braced, and probably a good roll cage. A 4 link coil sprung suspension in the back would give you a fighting chance if set up right.

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I don't know weather I'll build my truck down the road when I have a lot of money to spend or buy like a cheap old mustang rolling chassis and build it from there, but I know I do want to build a rig that I can take to the Portland race way every once and a while.

Prostreet Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with Gotta_gofast on his points. A c4 can be plenty stout, I used the 157 tooth flywheel in my 98, the front of the tunnel needed no trimming, but I had to modify the back of it. My truck is back halved and substantially lowered however. When I did mine, no one made motor mounts or headers for 98+, I had to make my own, which sounded worse than it actually was. A cage with bars through the firewall to the frame and bars out the rear window to the frame, I get no twist, the truck runs straight and hard. I'm prejudice towards strokers and blowers. (383 with a 6-71 dynoed at 683 hp, 653 tq). Put a block gridle on if using a stock block, better yet, get an aftermarket one. Backhalved Rangers are very rare, you'll see s10's but no Rangers. In MN I have yet to see another tubbed Ranger.

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
well, you can do it. How fast you wanting to go? just a 393 will get you in the 10's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals