• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blower speeds failing over time

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Aloha all!

99 Ranger XLT.

A few years ago, all 4 positions for the interior blower worked just fine. Then, with no warning, the lowest setting stopped working, leaves 2,3,&4 as options. Time passed, and 2 stopped. Now 3 has stopped working as well, leaving only full-blast arctic. I'd kinda like to have at lease one option back; preferable, all 4. Thoughts?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You need a new blower motor resistor. They cost about 20 bucks, takes about 10 minutes to replace. It's under the hood on the lower part of the hvac box.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Current part number is 4L5Z-19A706-AA
fits 1995-2011 Rangers

If you are wondering what happened
There are 3 resistors in this device, each sets one of the speeds below FULL speed, seen here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rparts-sites/images/43fa7f58b7eac7ac872209342e62e8f1/db706e7670d612abc1bceb19b4f15ee0.JPG
Each coil is a "resistor"
You lost 1 resistor at a time, which is unusual, but not unheard of, usual failure is a main lead fails and no low speeds just high/full speed which uses a separate wire

These are located in the Air Stream of the blower/fan to keep them cool, they get hot, like the coil in a toaster, or light bulb filament, but not THAT hot, lol, so over time they will "burn out", normal wear and tear

So there is no underlying issue of why it failed, just happens over time

Last edited:

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks!
I've watched a couple of videos on the replacement, and pretty much in each one they're commented about the sad state of the connector as well. Should I plan on changing the connector at the same time? I suppose, as long as I'm in the neighborhood, there's no reason not to.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
+1 ^^^

Current part number is 4L5Z-19A706-AA
fits 1995-2011 Rangers

If you are wondering what happened
There are 3 resistors in this device, each sets one of the speeds below FULL speed, seen here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rparts-sites/images/43fa7f58b7eac7ac872209342e62e8f1/db706e7670d612abc1bceb19b4f15ee0.JPG
Each coil is a "resistor"
You lost 1 resistor at a time, which is unusual, but not unheard of, usual failure is a main lead fails and no low speeds just high/full speed which uses a separate wire

These are located in the Air Stream of the blower/fan to keep them cool, they get hot, like the coil in a toaster, or light bulb filament, but not THAT hot, lol, so over time they will "burn out", normal wear and tear

So there is no underlying issue of why it failed, just happens over time

there can be an underlying issue...the motor wears out and gets increasingly resistive....and blows out a new resistor in short order as it gets to the end of its life. ifthe new resistor fails in less then 6 months or you have to beat on the motor to get it to go....its new motor time as well.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thanks!
I've watched a couple of videos on the replacement, and pretty much in each one they're commented about the sad state of the connector as well. Should I plan on changing the connector at the same time? I suppose, as long as I'm in the neighborhood, there's no reason not to.
The connector is somewhat open to the elements and because the resistor generates heat, yea the connections can go bad. Some resistors come with a new pigtail already, some don't. Pop it off and inspect it. That's the only way you'll know if it needs to be replaced. Been a while since I did one but it's just 2 small bolts, 5.5mm or 7mm I think and you can pull the resistor out of the hvac box, then pry the connector off. If you do replace the connector, solder and heat shrink the new wire splices do not use crimps.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you do replace the connector, solder and heat shrink the new wire splices do not use crimps.
I like to crimp and backfill with solder. It give the ease of a crimped connection and the security of solder.

I have found on larger gauge wires if I don't strip what seems like an excessive amount the splice comes unwrapped during soldering. A crimp eliminates that.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I'll have to give that a try. Either way, not a connection you want exposed or loose by just using a cheap crimp alone.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I had to put one in my Sport Trac a few months ago. In my case it was on the inside firewall above and to the left of the glovebox door. Electric motors only know full speed so to slow them down you need a resistor.

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
aloha all!

Well, that was a very annoying process. But, for $14.19 and a couple of hours' inconvenience, I now have 4 fan speed again!!!!!

Mahalo to all for the advice!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Congrats. And we here at TRS really appreciate when someone responds that the problem was fixed. It helps other people when they search for issues. Alot of people get answers and never respond back which helps no one. So big thumbs up buddy! (y)

Hope you stick around.

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Congrats. And we here at TRS really appreciate when someone responds that the problem was fixed. It helps other people when they search for issues. Alot of people get answers and never respond back which helps no one. So big thumbs up buddy! (y)

Hope you stick around.
Well, with a 99 Ranger under the garage, and my favorite mechanic closing up shop, I think I'll be around a bit more!

royallichter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm curious how finicky these are, or, how bad the stock fan motor is in terms of variability? The truck heats and cools just fine so maybe it's just me being picky. But, I put in a new one about a year ago because mine only functioned on the highest speed as well, but I still feel like the first three speeds aren't really there. Has anyone heard of a bad resistor out of the box?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
True!!! I put a resistor in a few month back and didn't replace the connector. It was pretty nasty but I thought I cleaned it up pretty good. The new resistor was not an MC and it feels like speeds 1 and 2 are the same, 3 and 4 are fine. Not sure if it is definitely the resistor but probably is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals