• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Block (Freeze Plug) Heater location?

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1990 with a 4.0L v6. I obtained a Kats block heater for it. I drained the coolant, removed the starter, and pulled the freeze plug at the drivers side rear of the engine. There was not sufficient clearance inside the freeze plug hole to install the block heater.

There was also no clearance to install a rubber expanding freeze plug, so I had to contort around and pound in a brass one to plug the hole.

Is there anyone with a block heater on their truck that can tell me which freeze plug hole was used for the installation? The last thing I need to do is pull another freeze plug and have it not fit again. They are a bear to get out without pulling the engine.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I had one on my former 2.9L, it was installed in the front of the driver's side head, behind the power steering pump.

I think the same location will work on a 4.0L. Certainly, pounding a replacement in if it doesn't work will be a whole lot easier.

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 4.0 Ranger and according to the instructions, it says front / right location. In my trruck this is right behind the motor mount & exhaust manifold, a real pain to get to. I'm putting it off for this year, thinking about putting in a lower hose heater. Looks much easier and this truck has a good vertical position in the hose for one...

Synchman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 4.0 Ranger and according to the instructions, it says front / right location. In my trruck this is right behind the motor mount & exhaust manifold, a real pain to get to. I'm putting it off for this year, thinking about putting in a lower hose heater. Looks much easier and this truck has a good vertical position in the hose for one...
That means passenger side? I can't even see my block on that side. Yikes!

Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals