• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bliss has gone all Juno (Beetlejuice reference)

CubeDweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bliss, FKA The Mule, has a deep, throaty tone, which has been discovered to be not from a nice Borla system, but a rusted out muffler, exhaust puffing out smoke like Juno with her cigarette.
I'm looking at the Walker stainless steel muffler from Rock Auto (#22286) so I won't have to do this again next year. I'm also going to replace the balance of the system (cat back) while I'm in there.
I don't see any other stainless parts, though, beyond a stray bracket or clamp. At least not at Rock Auto. Is it worth tracking down such parts? Or should I be happy getting out of this for ~$100?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There are several systems out there... I've been eyeballing the Gibson system. It's a bit pricy but...

I know they even have a couple systems on Amazon... not that I have any experience with any of them.

I do think it's better to just buy once cry once...

CubeDweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks! I'm liking the Gibson. I'll keep everyone posted. Sounds like it's louder than stock, but must be a lot quieter than what I have now.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Walker stainless is basically the equivalent of normal steel soaked in saltwater... just a heads up...

Walker aint bad, but their stainless is garbage. I like Flowmaster stuff, even their basic aluminized holds up decent. I built ferrari and lambo systems with flowmaster stuff. :dunno:

CubeDweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dirtman, thanks for the heads-up. I'm taking it out of my shopping cart. Gibson it is. Thank you Uncle Gump for the lead.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I had a Gibson cat back on my S10. It was that black coated stuff, held up good for probably 5 years of NJ salty winters which is quite good, before the truck got totalled. This was around 20 years ago though so hope their quality stayed the same. Lots of companies have gone down hill lately...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My experience with exhaust systems, you end paying about the same amount over a given period of time with cheaper exhaust systems and going stainless. You just change the cheaper systems more often. After a few years of doing cheap, I just bit the bullet and got factory stainless parts. I got tired of replacing rusted out exhaust components every few years.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My experience with exhaust systems, you end paying about the same amount over a given period of time with cheaper exhaust systems and going stainless. You just change the cheaper systems more often. After a few years of doing cheap, I just bit the bullet and got factory stainless parts. I got tired of replacing rusted out exhaust components every few years.
The problem is "stainless" is a universal term for whatever. Get a real 304/316 stainless system in 16 guage and itll last forever, seriously. But you literally can claim anything is stainless... the label means crap. Walker makes the best oem bent stuff but its aluminized, their "stainless" is garbage. Same with most companies. Modern OEM is like 410 stainless which kinda rusts but stops after it gets a coating, but is also very thick. Its all a crapshoot. Buy a welder build it yourself.

CubeDweller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Gibson finally ordered today. Dirtman, yeah a welder is on my list, and welding classes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals