• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bleeding Brakes with ABS

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
OK, I've never bled brakes on any vehicle with ABS. I tried searching with little useful results - can someone fill me in on what is required on the Ranger?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Really? Start from the passenger rear and work you way closer and closer to the master cylinder. What's the back story? i.e. Why are you needing to bleed brakes?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I know how to bleed brakes in general and have done it many times. My understanding was that the ABS valve blocked the lines and had to be told to open first.

The fluid is dark and I may have a minor brake drag caused by air - it needs to be bled and probably never has been.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's some video's on youtube for this specific issue. Something about the R-ABS valve. Nothing I've ever dealt with.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you have not opened the system above the ABS unit then you don't need to do anything special. The ABS bleed procedure is only needed if air has been introduced into the unit. The valves do not block the lines between the master cylinder and the wheel ever. One of the safety requirements for building an ABS system is that the failure of said system cannot impact the function of the braking system as a whole.

The valves you are thinking of are between the ABS fluid pump and the wheels, and are what allow for the unit to selectively and rapidly apply the brakes without you pumping the pedal. They just shut off the pump from the rest of the system. You need to do the ABS bleed when air gets into the ABS unit because it can dump air into an otherwise bled system during an ABS event.

The poor man's version is to bleed the brakes, go out and lock the wheels up a few times, and then bleed again.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
If you have not opened the system above the ABS unit then you don't need to do anything special. The ABS bleed procedure is only needed if air has been introduced into the unit. The valves do not block the lines between the master cylinder and the wheel ever. One of the safety requirements for building an ABS system is that the failure of said system cannot impact the function of the braking system as a whole.

The valves you are thinking of are between the ABS fluid pump and the wheels, and are what allow for the unit to selectively and rapidly apply the brakes without you pumping the pedal. They just shut off the pump from the rest of the system. You need to do the ABS bleed when air gets into the ABS unit because it can dump air into an otherwise bled system during an ABS event.

The poor man's version is to bleed the brakes, go out and lock the wheels up a few times, and then bleed again.

agreed, but it's less dramatic if done on a slippery surface. wet pavement, grass, gravel, dirt etc. due to a longer stop it gives the ABS more time to cycle and purge.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
agreed, but it's less dramatic if done on a slippery surface. wet pavement, grass, gravel, dirt etc. due to a longer stop it gives the ABS more time to cycle and purge.
Well, yes. Its best done down hill in the snow, but that's not always an option.

I usually try to do it several times on a dry road, if I can't trigger an ABS service bleed with a scanner. My Solus does most US and Asian vehicles through 2012, but 10 and 11 were roll over years for a lot of makers, so I can get it to talk to a lot of cars through 2015 because the software didn't change. I don't get a lot of work on stuff newer than that.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Thank you, that's what I was looking for!

I don't believe it was ever opened up, the fluid looks old. I should be able to do a normal bleed, making sure the reservoir stays full.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thank you, that's what I was looking for!

I don't believe it was ever opened up, the fluid looks old. I should be able to do a normal bleed, making sure the reservoir stays full.
Yes.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A scanner with ABS bleed feature only sets you back about 300 bucks these days. But yea obviously if you haven't replaced the abs pump and just want to do a flush there's nothing fancy needed. Just pay closer attention to the master cylinder reservoir than normal. Worst case on a non-abs truck if the master cylinder runs dry is you start all over lol. An ABS truck is gonna bite you in the ass a bit more if you do that...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A scanner with ABS bleed feature only sets you back about 300 bucks these days. But yea obviously if you haven't replaced the abs pump and just want to do a flush there's nothing fancy needed. Just pay closer attention to the master cylinder reservoir than normal. Worst case on a non-abs truck if the master cylinder runs dry is you start all over lol. An ABS truck is gonna bite you in the ass a bit more if you do that...
I'd get a pressure bleeder bottle. I'm working on making one, I'm just not working very hard.

Basically the bottle is full of brake fluid, the bottle is pressurized (mine will run off a tire) and it pushes old fluid out and new in at the same time.

The only car I have found so far that kind of setup didn't work on because of the ABS was a Chevy Malibu Maxx. That we did need the Solus for, but can say from first hand experience no non-hybrid Ford will give you that kind of trouble.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I usually use the vacuum bleeder kit from my MtyVac - it's not the best because it can pull air in around the bleeder screw treads and then you can't tell if the bubbles you see are from that or the system. Still, it's bled a lot of brakes and worked well enough.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I usually use the vacuum bleeder kit from my MtyVac - it's not the best because it can pull air in around the bleeder screw treads and then you can't tell if the bubbles you see are from that or the system. Still, it's bled a lot of brakes and worked well enough.
Yeah, I don't like the vac pump for exactly that reason. I have a pry bar that I can stick in between my seat and brake pedal and it will hold the pedal down while I got work the bleeder, if I need to do them myself.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
On smaller systems I'll sometimes flush enough fluid through to get fresh fluid at the bleeder, then run a long hose from the bleeder back into the reservoir and leave the valve open while I cycle fluid through. Works especially well on motorcycles.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yeah, I don't like the vac pump for exactly that reason. I have a pry bar that I can stick in between my seat and brake pedal and it will hold the pedal down while I got work the bleeder, if I need to do them myself.
It helps if I only crack the bleeder very slightly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals