• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BlackBII's white ranger

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Feels like I have done this 3 or 4 times

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just read the WHOLE build thread... Amazed. Wish I could build one just like it! You're gonna get that steering perfect! lol.
It's 50 pages now, a lot of reading I know!

What's stopping you from building one? Get to it champ

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Those pitman arms might be $200 (probably more now, haven't looked...) but they sure are magic... That's all I did for my steering and it drives pretty good even with a tape measure and eyeball alignment... I don't drive that one on the street to worry about tire wear, in the 9? years I've had the tires they're at 50% and are worn a little odd but whatever...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Those pitman arms might be $200 (probably more now, haven't looked...) but they sure are magic... That's all I did for my steering and it drives pretty good even with a tape measure and eyeball alignment... I don't drive that one on the street to worry about tire wear, in the 9? years I've had the tires they're at 50% and are worn a little odd but whatever...
That one there is just the regular 2" drop arm that comes with 4" kits, so it was only $50 or so.

Back to hydraulic steering.. for now. The electric units wear out too quickly and get too much play in them. I need to go back and look but someone said that would happen and sure enough it did.

Motorcraft pump with Type F fluid and properly bled. No whine noise so far!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That one there is just the regular 2" drop arm that comes with 4" kits, so it was only $50 or so.

Back to hydraulic steering.. for now. The electric units wear out too quickly and get too much play in them. I need to go back and look but someone said that would happen and sure enough it did.

Motorcraft pump with Type F fluid and properly bled. No whine noise so far!

Hey I no longer work for the company that made electric steering setup, so I can speak more freely. They're shit! I'm a quality engineer by trade. I've seen the returns. Lol trust me hydraulic is much better.

You had the brushed motor style. No way for the worm shaft and reduction gear wear to compensate like the later models.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Hey I no longer work for the company that made electric steering setup, so I can speak more freely. They're shit! I'm a quality engineer by trade. I've seen the returns. Lol trust me hydraulic is much better.

You had the brushed motor style. No way for the worm shaft and reduction gear wear to compensate like the later models.
This is/was good to know! Thank you for sharing that info.

Are the newer units better? I saw that many newer ones are integrated into the rack and pinion.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is/was good to know! Thank you for sharing that info.

Are the newer units better? I saw that many newer ones are integrated into the rack and pinion.
There are currently two types of electric steering systems used on the steering rack to my knowledge. The Dual Pinion and Rack Parallel(ball screw type/belt drive) systems.

The Rack Parallel system supports larger vehicles up to about the size if a 1/2 ton truck. Dual pinion has better response or feel(currently used on the BMW X2 and X3 SUV's).

Honestly the new systems are better and do give advantages, and they are tunable with the simple flash of software. This makes it great for OEM's.

Not so much for the little guys. You are at a dealer's mercy when it comes time to replace or service the new electric units. You have to have proprietary software to do anything with them. Most of the time the work with no issues, but there are defects and a lot of failure modes with this new advanced tech.

What is the worst that can happen with hydraulic, some whining or a leak? That's stuff you and I can fix or even replace the whole unit fairly easily.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
There are currently two types of electric steering systems used on the steering rack to my knowledge. The Dual Pinion and Rack Parallel(ball screw type/belt drive) systems.

The Rack Parallel system supports larger vehicles up to about the size if a 1/2 ton truck. Dual pinion has better response or feel(currently used on the BMW X2 and X3 SUV's).

Honestly the new systems are better and do give advantages, and they are tunable with the simple flash of software. This makes it great for OEM's.

Not so much for the little guys. You are at a dealer's mercy when it comes time to replace or service the new electric units. You have to have proprietary software to do anything with them. Most of the time the work with no issues, but there are defects and a lot of failure modes with this new advanced tech.

What is the worst that can happen with hydraulic, some whining or a leak? That's stuff you and I can fix or even replace the whole unit fairly easily.
This is all really good info. Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking I will go with the Volvo electric hydraulic pump on my fiat project. I did see that there are aftermarket companies that sell electric assist rack and pinions for mustangs and camaros and the like, but they are crazy expensive.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The future is now!

Android 6.2" touchscreen head unit. The amp in my factory bluetooth radio was just so pitiful I had to replace it with something that actually sounds good.

The clip in screen mount is adjustable, so you can move it up or down to fit different applications.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I already have a phone that's smarter then me... I refuse to make myself look any dumber with a radio.

Pretty cool stuff for you smart folks though...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I already have a phone that's smarter then me... I refuse to make myself look any dumber with a radio.

Pretty cool stuff for you smart folks though...
Computers aren't smart. All they do is what you tell them to do. Music and Google Maps are the two main reasons I went this route.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is all really good info. Thanks for sharing! I'm thinking I will go with the Volvo electric hydraulic pump on my fiat project. I did see that there are aftermarket companies that sell electric assist rack and pinions for mustangs and camaros and the like, but they are crazy expensive.
Probably a wise choice.

Nissan also has done an electric pump option on the maxima and pathfinder in recent years.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Won the All American Ford award at the good guys carshow this weekend :icon_thumby:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's certainly worthy of it... congrats!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals