• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BlackBII's white ranger

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Stayed up reading this thread last night, finished this morning. I freakin love this thing man, amazing work!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
gonna do the old two passenger side soft lines and reuse the stock rear Ranger center soft line trick? Knowing you you probably have a lot fancier plan, but I liked the simple route... Especially since I just grabbed a second line and bolted it to the caliper while I was at the junkyard...

I've abused the snot out of the 8.8 in my Ranger, while you are reworking things I definitely suggest welding the axle tube seams to the pumpkin... but if memory serves you're using a traction bar so you'll already be welding in that area :)
I was actually planning on using the factory Explorer lines, but I guess looking at it now that might not work. I replaced all the lines on my ranger when I did the lift, but I don't remember what lines I used on the back. I guess we'll find out when I get it in there! Good thinking on welding the tubes. I'll do that for sure

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I used two passenger side hoses on mine...plus a Skyjacker extended brake hose/splitter in the middle and redid the hard lines. The passenger side hoses have little tabs that you can use to bolt onto something... I had to really dig to find this but here's my swap thread from 12 years ago: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/another-8-8-swap-this-one-with-discs-and-lots-of-pics.46418/
Ah I see. Thanks for the link! I have everything to do new hard lines. The way Ford did the drivers side on the Explorer is dumb

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, you get all the room for all the suspension travel you want as long as it's only 4" of travel that you want... Using two passenger lines is pretty clean and simple... I just flared the stock hard line in the center of the axle for the two new nuts, worked fine. On mine we just pulled the stock bump stop and put a shock spacer on the bottom of the frame to drop the hard line down further, not the cleanest way to do it but it's worked just fine...

I mentioned welding the tubes because I've spun one, but it took some extreme measures and lots of axle wrap...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, you get all the room for all the suspension travel you want as long as it's only 4" of travel that you want... Using two passenger lines is pretty clean and simple... I just flared the stock hard line in the center of the axle for the two new nuts, worked fine. On mine we just pulled the stock bump stop and put a shock spacer on the bottom of the frame to drop the hard line down further, not the cleanest way to do it but it's worked just fine...

I mentioned welding the tubes because I've spun one, but it took some extreme measures and lots of axle wrap...
Yeah looking at it now and I think the two passenger lines is the way to go.

I got the 7.5 out yesterday and it was interesting working on a truck that's been painted. Being careful about not scratching/denting it was a new experience for me

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just need to get the larger flange on the driveshaft and it'll be done

I ended up using the factory 8.8 lines, and just adding an extension piece, part # BH36593

I had to add a small shim to get the pinion depth set, backlash came out right at spec on the first try thankfully

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Also, check out the porosity on this factory spring perch weld

Roadings

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Also, check out the porosity on this factory spring perch weld

Big yikes on that weld. Makes you want to question every other weld

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I used two passenger side soft lines on mine and welded mounting tabs to the back side of the Barnes 4x4 spring perches. Worked pretty well. Ni-cop lines if rust is an issue.

One thing I didn’t do that I regret, especially since I stick welded everything to the axle tubes and I have the correct rods for it, is not welding the tubes to the diff housing.

Hold on to your hat the first time you mash the brakes. They flat out WORK.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
To be honest when I twisted an axle tube I was in 4 low first gear WOT doing a tractor pull and axle wrap started and it was enough to twist a leaf spring, bend and twist the driveshaft... When I welded my tubes I just used 7018 welding rod in my stick welder...

That extension deal is pretty simple, I like it, I might do that for future swaps...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I like that extension hose, I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. Sure would be easier that way than redoing everything.

Feel ya on trying not to scratch the paint and stuff - I have a front axle seal leaking on my stepside truck that I painted... NOT looking forward to pulling the beam to fix that while working around shiny paint.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I do need to weld on some tabs to mount the soft lines, I'll do that today. Your install looks good @DRanger024

I ran a short 2" or so bead on top and bottom of the tube/housing, just because I was always there and welding. This truck probably wont ever see more than a dirt road, so I doubt I'll ever twist the tube. I used Tig and some er70 and it seemed to weld just fine.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I like that extension hose, I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. Sure would be easier that way than redoing everything.

Feel ya on trying not to scratch the paint and stuff - I have a front axle seal leaking on my stepside truck that I painted... NOT looking forward to pulling the beam to fix that while working around shiny paint.
Yeah using factory anything is typically easier, as long as you can adapt it. I draped an old sheet over the truck to protect it when I was grinding and welding and such. It'd be nice to have a larger garage!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals