• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bird stuck in my brakes?

LilBlueTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger 2WD 5-speed with ~150,000 miles and a Fabtech 5.5” Ultimate lift / 32x11.5” tires. It is making a high-pitched chirping noise (almost sounds like a bird!) under the following conditions:

- reacts to steering input, starting up and then going away depending on how much I turn the wheel
- seems to be coming from the front of the truck
- occurs only when the truck is moving
- pitch / sound does not seem to be affected much by speed
- always goes away completely whenever I hit the brakes (not the e-brake, though)
- doesn’t seem to start up right away – will start after 5-minutes of driving

I pulled the front brakes apart twice. I checked the ball-joints and other parts in the lower-front area, but it would seem to me that it is either coming from the brakes or wheel-bearings. The bearings seem fine – no play or grinding noises if you spin the wheel. They were replaced several years ago too. Most recently, I checked the brakes again and installed new shims behind the pads (the old ones had slipped down toward the rotor), re-greased everything (with brake-grease, of course), cleaned rust off the outer-edge of the rotors, and reassembled everything. The noise is still there! It has been making this noise for over a year, and it probably is not a safety concern, but it is annoying. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this same noise? Thanks! :icon_confused:

LilBlueTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had a noise like this?

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have any help but this reminded me of the fact i had a birds nest with eggs in it in front of my radiator about a month ago after my truck had been sitting for awhile....

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
How old are the pads? if they are old could be a wear indicator,if your pads have them.Not all do.If they are new,some semi-metalic pads make noise.I had a set that I replaced after a year because I could not stand the noise.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger 2WD 5-speed with ~150,000 miles and a Fabtech 5.5” Ultimate lift / 32x11.5” tires. It is making a high-pitched chirping noise (almost sounds like a bird!) under the following conditions:

- reacts to steering input, starting up and then going away depending on how much I turn the wheel
- seems to be coming from the front of the truck
- occurs only when the truck is moving
- pitch / sound does not seem to be affected much by speed
- always goes away completely whenever I hit the brakes (not the e-brake, though)
- doesn’t seem to start up right away – will start after 5-minutes of driving

I pulled the front brakes apart twice. I checked the ball-joints and other parts in the lower-front area, but it would seem to me that it is either coming from the brakes or wheel-bearings. The bearings seem fine – no play or grinding noises if you spin the wheel. They were replaced several years ago too. Most recently, I checked the brakes again and installed new shims behind the pads (the old ones had slipped down toward the rotor), re-greased everything (with brake-grease, of course), cleaned rust off the outer-edge of the rotors, and reassembled everything. The noise is still there! It has been making this noise for over a year, and it probably is not a safety concern, but it is annoying. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this same noise? Thanks! :icon_confused:
sway bar bushings or end links would be my guess? try to spray some lube on the bushings if they aren't rotten

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone had a noise like this?
Yup had the same exact noise for quite some time, until I noticed the pretty scrape marks all the way around the inside of my rim! Finally managed to figure out that the stupid pad sliders were sticking out just a hair and scrapping the rim. Check the inside of of rim, if there is scrape marks, just trim the shims down a little bit. I used a pair of tin snips on mine. Hope this helps.

butchr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has the bird been found?

So 4 months later has the squeal been found ? Think I have got your birds brother.

Ferris Bueller

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure about your problem. South of town I was behind a Probe on a 30mph 2 lane road. The Probe all of a sudden jumps up a bit and before I can react I see a large turtle and the front of my Mazda B2000 jumps up. People walking along the side of the road looking at my truck in horror as I'm driving (I thought the turtle was now behind me). Another half block and the back of my truck jumps up. Later I crawled under the truck and there was blood on the oilpan, tranny and a few other places.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am having this issue a well but I am not sure it is the brakes. I hear the squeaking / chirping at speed. The sound is the same no matter the speed and is still there when I hit the brakes and goes away when I am stopped. Also (and I might be wrong on this) I think the sound goes away for second when there is a hump in the road and the truck is on the up spring. Thoughts?

Last edited:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
damn am i glad ive got the old style brakes, all i get are the rattles when the rubber pins get squished out.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it reacts to steering input, I would say Wheel bearings.
Check 'em again. Maybe repack them for good measure?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
That poor poor bird....... I'm calling PETA.

Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals