• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BII vs. pre '95 Explorer Sport

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
To be honest the only thing that would make me get another bronco2
(I've had three in the past) is if I actually found a set of those "unicorn" removeable side windows.

AD

And I seriously Doubt any (Likely 1 prototype, used for the Add campain) are still existing.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
And I seriously Doubt any (Likely 1 prototype, used for the Add campain) are still existing.
Like I said, I'm going to find one!

Or I'll make one:D

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In my opinion b2's look better in general all around by looks. I dont like Explorer factory bumpers. B2's turn really sharp, and the short wheelbase is better for tight woods. Overall the b2 looks like more of a offroad rig than the Exploder. Exploders have better drivetrains, but id rather have the smaller body of the b2 anyday.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been wheeling the Explorer sport for a few years now and couldn't be happier. I admit I did have a BII first, I had a ranger. The Explorer has a very tight turning radius, your can't argue with the strength of the running gear and the interior room is excellent. I even had room to remove 14" from the roof and move the tailgate forward to make room for a rear radiator and still have plenty of storage behind the back seat. I don't know how it would do with a 4.0l, I immediately removed mine and added the 302. I did have the advantage of buying one with a good body, blown motor and bad transfer case so it didn't break the bank to throw all that stuff away and replace it with what I had in the Ranger. The Explorer was only $100.00. So my $.02. Not a comparison with the BII, just that I like the Explorer and it's a flexible platform to start upgrades and alterations.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
An explorer is a bloated pig compared to a BroncoII. They start out with significantly less ground clearance, and yes, even a sport's extra length and width work against it in my wheeling terrain. I wheeled my BII stock with a stock sport, and he bottomed out and got hung up on corners I breezed through.

Plus their mommy wagon looks are just a turn off compared to the in your face TRUCK of a gen 1 BII. :D

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So, I had a 3rd gen sport and loved it...If I was to build a small SUV Í'd choose one of them first, but I'll make my choice fit this situation..

-94 Explorer sport
-95+ interior swap
-First gen front clip swap
-Solid D44 from my ranger when I do FW swap....

-andrew

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I had a 3rd gen sport and loved it...If I was to build a small SUV Í'd choose one of them first, but I'll make my choice fit this situation..

-94 Explorer sport
-95+ interior swap

-andrew
I actually scoped out putting a first gen RBV front clip on a first gen Explorer... it won't work well and if it did actually go on nothing would line up. Explorers are a little wider and have no body lines, so it would just look odd if you did it. My parents have a '94 4dr, I did a quick comparision against my Ranger... it is a major no go. It would be easy to stick a second gen BII/Ranger grille in the Ex though and go for that look.

If I had both trucks in identical condition sitting beside each other I would pick the EX, it is everything a BII aspires to be. Not to say I wouldn't long for a way to stick a first gen BII/Ranger grille on it though...

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

-94 Explorer sport
-95+ interior swap

-andrew
though it would still be a Bronco II, I have seen wher you can get a kit to put on a third generation Ranger front clip and then you could work on updating the interior maybe from a 95 Ranger and seats from an Explorer. Of course using a Explorer drive train...you certainly would have an interesting truck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
though it would still be a Bronco II, I have seen wher you can get a kit to put on a third generation Ranger front clip and then you could work on updating the interior maybe from a 95 Ranger and seats from an Explorer. Of course using a Explorer drive train...you certainly would have an interesting truck
I think the BII (83-88) would already have the front end he wants.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I could easily make a first gen explorer sport have a first gen Ranger/B2 clip. Nothing a bit of Fiberglass couldn't fix.:woot:

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh for the love of god and country!! You and your freakin fiberglass!!!! LMAO! Just pullin yer leg Joel, I know there is nothing man can't do without some time money and means.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could easily make a first gen explorer sport have a first gen Ranger/B2 clip. Nothing a bit of Fiberglass couldn't fix.:woot:
It would take a lot of work, the whole profile is different. They are missing the bodylines along the top of the fenders and along the bottom of the fender. The Ex has a bodyline in the center, and the front edge of the door is curved instead of straight like the BII. The fender is also more rounded on the Explorer.

The only way you might do it is to cut and patch the panels back together, and even then...

First gen Explorer 2dr:

My First gen Ranger (BII similar):

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The hood is swapable, it would just mean the front of the fenders at the grill area would have to merge the old grill to the new. Minor sheet metal work, as the width is about the same at the very front. It's only back at the door that it gets wider. Change out the core support for a Gen 1 Ranger and your set. You'll have a Gen0 Explorer. or Gen 2.5 B2.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The hood is swapable, it would just mean the front of the fenders at the grill area would have to merge the old grill to the new. Minor sheet metal work, as the width is about the same at the very front. It's only back at the door that it gets wider. Change out the core support for a Gen 1 Ranger and your set. You'll have a Gen0 Explorer. or Gen 2.5 B2.
x2 it really wouldn't be that much work.....esc once you don't run full doors on a trail rig only half doors, then who cares if the fender doesn't mesh the 1/4 panel

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
x2 it really wouldn't be that much work.....esc once you don't run full doors on a trail rig only half doors, then who cares if the fender doesn't mesh the 1/4 panel
If I did it I would want it to look right, like it came that way.

I was wanting to make a 4dr first gen BII out of an Explorer which is why I got to thinking about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals