• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bigger tires

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

My 85 has stock suspension. Will 31s fit under? If not what do I have to do for 2" body lift? Will I need to extend any thing?

igiveup

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
depends on the backspacing of the wheels, and the condition of the suspention. when i put 31's on my 84 i had a 3" body lift on it and the tires still rubbed on the lower corners of the front fender and that small folded lip inside the top of the rear fender. i could get some pics of the fender trimming that was done to it so it wouldnt rub.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Probably not... some guys here say they did it with room to spare but i don't see how. My 84 has about 500,000 on the suspension with new shocks. I put a 3' Body lift on it and the 31's fit just right. I probably could have gone with a 2" but I have a semi crippled fender and it rubs when I hit a bump and am turning...

I got a PA body lift and the only thing that needed extending was the steering shaft, which came with the kit. but I had to cut it down a bit.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
my 84 didnt need the steering shaft extiniton, my suspension has about 300,000 miles on it. and on the other hand my 86 got a 3" BL and the same trimming and it ran 33's with no problem. and it did use the steering shaft extintion. so really i would have to say the best way to find out is try it.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
explorer leafs!

used them on my 87 bronco and other then cutting the front of the fender off front the body line down i cleared everything...

on the other hand my BRAND NEW NAPA shocks are totally gone now LOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
YES YOU CAN! well, I could with my 88BII XLT. I used stock wheels and explorer rear springs(had spring sag only reason I changed them out). 31s will rub offroad, not bad though. On road they rub only when at full turn and only on the sway bar.
I did do a bodylift(2") after to stop the offroad rub.
You will need to make your own dropbrackets for the radiator, steering ext. is included in any good bodylift kit.
You could do as the instructions say and cut your fan shroud, but there is no reason for "half assing" it.
Here is a picture of my BII with 31x10.50 15s stock wheels NO LIFT!

I do have pictures after the bodylift, but none with the 31s, they are on my ranger now.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Is that style of stock wheels 15 x 6 or 15 x 7? I was wanting to put that tire size on mine as well, but my stock wheels are 15 x 6 I believe.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
15x7 would probably be better so they dont balloon as much and might help with the contact on the front sway bar and the radius arms...

stock b2 rims are 15x6

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

Mine are 15x8x31. When it gets a bit warmer I will try them.

igiveup

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals