• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bigger radiator.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
im looking to upgrade the radiator in my 88 B2, currently it just has the single core which i belive is really the problem to my cooling issues. I noticed its not as simple as the one in my 84 that just drops into some brackets and clamps in.. rather it has built in brackets/tabs on the radiator itself. Did B2's come factory with bigger than this single core? If so, ill go hit up the j-yard.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
one out of an explorer with a 4.0 should fit

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The radiator you want is the one from an auto trans 91-94 Explorer.

AD

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys. Ill go find/get one tomorrow.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just remember that a bigger rad is not always a solution. The bigger the rad the more fuild you need to cool.

My 4.0L stays cooler with a single core rad than it does with the thicker Explorer dual core.

Not all single core rads are the same. I have found that some are thinner than others.

What I would be looking at if your having overheat issues is the thermostat and looking at your fan and clutch. Do you have a fan shroud?

Might want to look into a Taurus 3.8L e-fan. I have one, and I think it might solve some of your conserns, as it did mine.

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Make / Model
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Transmission
Manual
CopyKat is correct about the radiator and the clutch fan.
My 86 B2 came with a brass 2 core radiator, I don't know why it had brass.
A friend had an 87 B2 with a single core aluminum radiator and couldn't keep it cool in the spring and fall, let alone the 90+ summer days. He did a lot of looking and found a two core and a 10 bladed clutch fan from an Explorer. His problem was solved.
I'm not saying this will solve your problem. He also lost a couple tenths of a mile per gallon, which equates to a loss of HP.
In the day when we didn't have computer engine management, an engine running hot meant the timing was out of whack or possibly some part of the cooling system was plugged.
The other problem, heaven forbid was a cracked water jacket.
The later is possible on a 2.9, cracked head, but you would be loosing coolant with that problem.
Where I live a 4 core aluminum radiator from a ASY will run about $65, I don't believe you need one, but pulling more air with either a 10 blade clutch fan or an electric from a Taurus will probably be a lot cheaper and more of a problem solver. Pay attention to the above statement about the 10 blade fan and the power loss.

Ray

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
In the day when we didn't have computer engine management, an engine running hot meant the timing was out of whack or possibly some part of the cooling system was plugged.
Ahh, the good ol' days, Amen to that Clem.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Just remember that a bigger rad is not always a solution. The bigger the rad the more fuild you need to cool.

My 4.0L stays cooler with a single core rad than it does with the thicker Explorer dual core.

Not all single core rads are the same. I have found that some are thinner than others.

What I would be looking at if your having overheat issues is the thermostat and looking at your fan and clutch. Do you have a fan shroud?

Might want to look into a Taurus 3.8L e-fan. I have one, and I think it might solve some of your conserns, as it did mine.
Hey CopyKat, can you elaborate on that? my theory is the thinner radiator is easier to pull air through. I swapped to the super thick explorer radiator, and am now having clearance problems trying to instal an Efan. Seems my options are go back to thin core radiator, or run the thinnest fan possible and slice off the waterpump fan clutch threads for clearance. Your statement has given some confidence that the thin core radiator may be fine, even in CA desert summers, if with a good Efan behind it...

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 86 never overheated, even when I lived in Phx on 120 degree days. It was all stock.
This B2 I have now has a factory sized replacement rad and it's fine on high 90 degree days with the AC on. I think it's a dual core. I did put a new fan and fan clutch on it when I fixed the AC.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I use a 4.0 rad. Simply couldn't run my engine without it overheating any other way

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have a dual row 4L Ranger radiator in my 88 Bronco 2, you can't have too much cooling capacity I don't think, and having the automatic transmission and air conditioning, the cooler I can keep things the better....I added an auxiliary transmission cooler which helped a lot too. I have the stock clutch fan, and have no cooling issues unless I'm sitting for long periods of time with the A/C on and transmission in gear creeping along in traffic for example. Most times I have no trouble with cooling, and it would be trouble free if I switched to an electric fan at very low speeds or at a stop is when things will heat up due to lack of airflow through the condenser and radiator.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

+1! I switched to a thicker core radiator, then switched back...thinner core surprisingly cooled better.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put a Flexalite 160 kit on this weekend it's working well so far but I haven't really had a chance to test it in 100* heat yet. Mid 90's no problem.
The AC does work better at idle than with the stock clutch fan setup.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
11 year old thread likely won't get a response from kopykat.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4.0 rad in my 88 b2. I think the lower hose is for a 4.0 manual and the upper hose is off the 2.9

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals