• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bigger is Better?

Finnegan

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hey,

I was just doing some research regarding the Ranger's Transmissions and I was curious to know what is the largest transmission anyone has managed to tack onto the Ranger? And how has it worked out for you?

Just as a note, specifically Manual Transmissions. Sorry guys, but Manuals are kinda just better.

Thanks for y'alls time.

Finnegan

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
6 Speed Swap?

I talking to some of my friends about this and I was told that someone took out the stock 5 speed, M5OD-R1, and put in a ZF 6-Speed from a F-250 :shok: . Is it even possible for the 4.0L to turn that giant transmission and even if it could how would it bolt up to the 4.0L?

Just what I heard. I would like to hear some opinions as to the feasibility of such a project.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
To me that sounds like it was done along with a V8 swap...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
M5OD-R2 is the beefer brother of the M5OD-R1 used in Rangers

It is used in the F-150s with I6s and 4.6l and 5.0l V8s
Also in the overseas Ranger Turbodiesels, the BT50's

I think the '97-'02 F-150 4.6l versions have shifter in almost the same location as Ranger.
And 4.6l and 5.0l have same bolt pattern
So for a V8 conversion it would make things easier, also comes in 2WD and 4WD vehicles

Last edited:

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Im wondering the same thing. I have a Mazda 5 speed out of a 90s f150. It had the 300 6 cylinder in it. I also have a street fighter TCI c6. I want too cram the c6 in there behind my 347. I cant find any info on it. Does anyone know if its possible to jam one of these in a 2000 ranger. Its a trail head or edge whatever ya want to call it. Ive got some room cause i have done the SAS. I know I need a body lift. I also want to put the biggest transfer case possible in it. B/G 1356 if possible. I have an NP 208 as well.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im wondering the same thing. I have a Mazda 5 speed out of a 90s f150. It had the 300 6 cylinder in it. I also have a street fighter TCI c6. I want too cram the c6 in there behind my 347. I cant find any info on it. Does anyone know if its possible to jam one of these in a 2000 ranger. Its a trail head or edge whatever ya want to call it. Ive got some room cause i have done the SAS. I know I need a body lift. I also want to put the biggest transfer case possible in it. B/G 1356 if possible. I have an NP 208 as well.
Why is it important to have the biggest tcase? The 1356 is very wide. It almost touches the frame in my f150 and f350.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can put a t5 behind the 2.9/4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals