• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bigger fuel tank

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have the 20 gallon fuel tank, 4.0 V6 5 speed. Theres a place in New Jersey that sells a 35 gallon tank, but they say it's 'diesel only.' If the tank is new, chemically it won't matter, but that doesnt mean it'll hook to my fuel neck. Does anyone have any ideas?

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Years back, there was an optional secondary tank. If you check your bed, you should even be able to see the bump where the second filler neck was suppose to route. The tank replaced the spare tire, displacing it to the bed.

There isn't a ton of extra space under the stock bed for a larger fuel tank although if you can, go with a larger tank as installing a secondary evap and fuel pump can be frustrating.

I would rekon filler necks at most, would require an adapter of the proper size and material. The evap connections may be different between the two though

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
If you need to carry extra gas, carry a good gas can. I toyed with the idea of an extra tank that will sit where the spare is, and hook to the main tank to "fill" that one. It is a lot of work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

I found a different website that sells the same tank as I mentioned earlier. Will the neck work to hook up to mine? It says it's for '07 to '11. Mine is an '07, my only concern is they specify diesel only.
Thats for the T6(international) Ranger, same size as the 2019/20 US Rangers, not the 1983-2011 US Rangers

Just get under your Ranger and see if the fuel tank can be expanded forward or backwards or to the center
It can't, well not by much so not worthwhile

Some have added a Bronco II tank in place of the spare tire but it sits low, you can raise up the bed a bit but then it doesn't line up with cab, so you are looking at a body lift

There is no off-the-shelf tank for our smaller US Rangers larger than 20gallon

Tank in the bed is best option if you need the extra fuel storage and you can just siphon it into the lower tank so no "plumbing" is needed

You can get/make a filler hose that would fit just about any gas tank you can fit, so thats not a big concern
Hooking back up the EVAP system and sourcing a fuel pump assembly with pressure regulator would be what would be harder, but can be done

Last edited:

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thats for the T6(international) Ranger, same size as the 2019/20 US Rangers, not the 1983-2011 US Rangers

Just get under your Ranger and see if the fuel tank can be expanded forward or backwards or to the center
It can't, well not by much so not worthwhile

Some have added a Bronco II tank in place of the spare tire but it sits low, you can raise up the bed a bit but then it doesn't line up with cab, so you are looking at a body lift

There is no off-the-shelf tank for our smaller US Rangers larger than 20gallon

Tank in the bed is best option if you need the extra fuel storage and you can just siphon it into the lower tank so no "plumbing" is needed

You can get/make a filler hose that would fit just about any gas tank you can fit, so thats not a big concern
Hooking back up the EVAP system and sourcing a fuel pump assembly would be what would be harder
Why would their rangers be bigger than ours? Here's the actual site.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The “World Ranger” or T6 is pretty much the new body 2019-2020 North America Ranger. If you’ve seen a new one next to your ‘07, you’d see the size difference.

Have you noticed the companies you’ve linked aren’t in the US? That’s because those trucks aren’t in the US.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The “World Ranger” or T6 is pretty much the new body 2019-2020 North America Ranger. If you’ve seen a new one next to your ‘07, you’d see the size difference.
That's weird. Any idea why they got a bigger truck than we did?

Regardless, I looked under my rig. No room for that tank, not without some massive mods. Thank you, good sir!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Fuel range is a much bigger issue in other places in the world than in the US.

That's weird. Any idea why they got a bigger truck than we did?

Regardless, I looked under my rig. No room for that tank, not without some massive mods. Thank you, good sir!
Because people wanted bigger and Ford decided not to bring the new truck everybody else got like in 2010-11 to the US until 2019.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mazda and Ford started making the BT-50 and T6 Rangers in Asia and South Africa, these were never sold in the US/Canada, they couldn't pass safety or emissions tests so couldn't be imported either

Why were they bigger?
I don't know, you would need to ask Mazda or Ford, it was only slightly smaller than the F-150, which was why Ford was not in a hurry to sell that size here in the US, while it is a smaller truck its not a small truck like our older Rangers
It probably has to do with other car makers going to the larger "small truck" in international markets

In 2019 Ford used the T6 platform for the new Rangers here, it has the required safety and emissions for US/Canada market and is built in the US

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I knew something was wrong with this picture... nobody sells a 30 gallon tank for an 07 NA ranger lol. If they did I'd have one...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bronco II tank in place of the spare tire is about the only option other than putting it in the bed. Some early Rangers did get factory dual tanks but it’s pretty rare. B2 tank holds 23 gallons. Could probably source some parts from a dual tank F-150. I’ve toyed with the idea a few times over the years but never really gave it a go. Been thinking about doing some kind of dual fuel in my Ranger (pump gas and a secondary with race gas), but I’m in no hurry, just kicking around ideas.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've considered the spare fuel tank mod but it would be a major endeavor and I would need to probably pay someone or get help. While I'm quite capable, this one is beyond, or at least portions of it it, my equipment and skill set.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've considered the spare fuel tank mod but it would be a major endeavor and I would need to probably pay someone or get help. While I'm quite capable, this one is beyond, or at least portions of it it, my equipment and skill set.
You can pull the bed off and have a look, there is room if spare tire is not there, but then no spare tire, maybe on a tailgate mount

There are loads of smaller tanks, 12-16gal that would fit without being too low or too wide
Filler can be a bit of a puzzle, on where to put the nozzle port, to make it look clean

If you have to pass emission test in your location then you have to have the EVAP system on both tanks, unless 2nd tank is well hidden, lol

If you paid someone to do it they would need to install EVAP system regardless because I think its like Cat Converters, a Federal beef, to not have it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals