• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Big Darla" Build Thread

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could've swore treadwrights made multiple sizes.

XionicWaste

April 2012 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
37x12.50 Pitbull Rocker MTs
My credo
Custom everything! Purists look out!
They are but the largest they sell is the 37-12.5-16.5s and Id like some 37s.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cliff Notes:
- Tires are friggin expensive, go with the smallest tire you need, as once you start going big, things tend to spiral out of control fast!
- DO NOT buy 16.5” stuff. Your only “real” off road tire choices are Super Swampers, Pitbull Rockers, .mil take offs, and Retreads.
- You will likely be unhappy with the retreads in the 16.5” size (details below)

...They are treadwrights (re treaded Military Hummer Pull Offs. 37-12.50-16.5's but unfortunately they are load range E tires (Max Load: 3,850 lbs... My truck doesn't even weigh 3800 lbs...) I know Kage did a small write up on the Humvee pull offs and he said he was disappointed on how much they sat down when deflated, which I feel this is a good thing because that means they have sidewall flex, right?...
They are actually D rated tires, not E. While I don’t think they’ll squat as much under your ‘light’ truck they will still give. The bigger issue is sidewall strength, while I have not yet managed to kill one of my sidewalls, they are not really holding up well at all (that’s with 5 trips on them). And you’ll have the exact same sidewall issue as Tread Wright is buying their carcasses from TWF for the retreads (Unless something has changed in the past two months, check PBB4x4 for more info on that).

Yes you can air them down to get them to flex pretty good, the .mil take offs don’t grip worth a crap, even when siped.

...Another downfall is they are 150lbs per which is HEAVY but I would be more stable....
Somewhat, it also means they’ll be a bigger pain to balance, get moving down the road, and more wear on your lighter axles (Brakes, balljoints, shafts, etc). Unsprung weight is a double edged sword.

...Another is that I would have 16.5 wheels so if I dont like the tires what are my alternatives? (Not many companies sell in a 16.5)…
Right, you’re backing yourself into a corner for little gain.

...The plus with these are I could abuse them because a new set would be 600, they measure 36.7 (so almost a true 37 vs my current 35's measure to 33)…
Don’t forget shipping in there. But the retread and .mil take offs have a big advantage here in the cheap department. You get what you pay for though.

...Another plus is I could get re-centered H1 wheels and have a double bead-lock feature so if the sidewalls don't flex I could run 3psi off road and FORCE them to flex...
You think the tires are heavy, wait to you start dicking with the recentered H1’s and inserts. I was excited by being able to air down to single digits, but its not worth it. I find myself running 12 psi most of the time because the damn tires squat so much that I can’t afford the ground clearance loss. It might be better with your setup, but I’ve got a feeling it won’t be as good as you’d hope.

What pressures are you running now? Are you blowing beads routinely?

If you’re in the 10 psi range, and you’re not popping beads, then springing for bead locks isn’t needed.

.....Choices, choices ugh... All input is helpful on this subject for sure, especially if you've seen these tires perform or have personally ran them ...(Kage youre in the spotlight)...
I feel your pain on this, and its part of the reason I wouldn't mind going smaller (set of good 33" tires is $800-900, were a set of Good 37's is closer to $1600). That's why I say run the smallest tire you need, bigger isn't allways better.

Every time I price wheels/tires for this truck, I wind up crying a little bit at the cost..

Looking back, I really wish I would have just ponied up the money for another set of nittos instead of going down the 16.5” road ( I was warned, but I ignored it). The only reason I can see for dealing with the retreads (or .mil take offs) is the cost side of it. And that only really makes sense if you run through at least two sets of tires on your 16.5” rims.

The bead lock stuff might be nice if your were planning on running swampers or Pitbull rockers, but otherwise that’s not much of a selling point. Also keep in mind that if you do the double bead locked H1’s, you have to change your insert depending on the tire size (more money). For example, if you buy the inserts for the .mil take offs and then go to PBR’s or Swampers, you’ll have to have the insert shaved down due to sidewall thickness. And no, that’s not something you can just grind some off, you’ll have to have it turned or the damn things will never balance.

I don’t know how to say it any more plainly other than go with something else. R15/R17 is where it is as, skip the R16/R16.5 stuff.

If I think of anything else, I’ll post up more, or just ask away if I’ve missed something.

They do, but only one size for the 16.5's

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome Build I just read your whole build thread today!!!!

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
for your side marker lights get a pair or two of the small diam LED that require a 3/4 diam hole to be drilled.

XionicWaste

April 2012 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
My credo
Awesome Build I just read your whole build thread today!!!!
Hey Thanks, and thanks all you guys for voting for me!

Kage that is some great info on those military pull offs. Ive learned to not take the gamble and go for the deal. I will avoid these tires.

So I haven't updated my thread all month but almost the first half was finals and closing my residence hall (I was a Senior RA) and the other half I was in Wisconsin visiting. So here's what you missed.

Stuck the stinger on:

I put in supports here:

Heres my angle:

I got a winch for my Birthday too! Superwinch 8500lb (300 bucks shipped)

Now for my winch mounting idea I wanted to keep the winch as sucked in as possible. For me to do that I decided to remove the hood latch and run hood pins:

Sense my AC is broken (frozen compressor) and If I ever do fix the compressor I was going to use it for onboard air so I took out the AC radiator:

I chopped up the sheet metal infront of the radiator and threw in the winch:

Super tucked in:

I layed down some 5/16ths tabs, welded them and also attached some 3/16ths tabs for the fair lead.

I painted the bumper with some rustoleum undercarriage lining. (black and textured)

Done!

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like where you mounted that winch but.....

Is that steel rope with a non roller fairlead I see there? If that's the case, you might want to look into finding a roller fairlead.

But, my eyes might be playing tricks on me again...

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have a roller fair lead on D, but just a normal one for steel line. Still works

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
a Hawse will work as long as it is steel and not aluminum....

also, you may want to consider gussetting the fairlead tabs a little more....but, that is just my opinion:D

l8r, John

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I would gusset all the winch tabs. The winch will tear those tabs right off if you are actually stuck on something.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

XionicWaste

April 2012 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
My credo
Thanks for the input guys, gusseting the tabs was something I was going to do and should do but then I was thinking about the stresses on the winch and this winch pulls from the bottom so the load has less leverage than it would from the top. Im using 5/16ths tabs, v'd and multi passed on the bottom... but you're right they should be gusseted and will be.

The steel fairlead was provided by superwinch and if I upgrade anything on the winch it will be a synthetic line and ill either get a new fairlead or smooth this one out.

Next up will be finish the tail light project.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals