• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big Block Dodge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
I traded a honda civic for a 440 big block with 727 and have a 8.8 out 95 ford f150 with plans to make a hot like truck have pics before I start removing but the plans is making a drag truck but I'll keep updating here but lmk what ya think
20231221_183125.jpg
20231204_155018.jpg
20231203_163127.jpg

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A 440 in a ranger? Keep us informed :)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Yeah. This should be interesting.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
For TRACTION purposes, ya might want to mount the 440 in the BED! ... and/or do an AWD drivetrain... otherwise tire-smoke city? o_O

PS: is that a "regular" Ranger pickup, or a Sport-Trac, er whut? :unsure:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a 440 in a '73 Dodge motorhome. Loved that engine! I totally support your swap idea.

That F150 axle is not really ideal for your purposes. I'd either run an Explorer 8.8 - basically the same thing, just a few inches more narrow. Or anything that doesn't have C clips... a narrowed 9" or an 8" would be good.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would think about putting big rad as far back as feasible behind cab and use electric fans and pump. Orientation doesn't really matter. Could be under box...
Put fuel cell behind axle.
Aluminum bumpers.
Remove window regulators and use snap in plastic windows.
Set engine back by redoing firewall.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I had a 440 in a '73 Dodge motorhome. Loved that engine! I totally support your swap idea.

That F150 axle is not really ideal for your purposes. I'd either run an Explorer 8.8 - basically the same thing, just a few inches more narrow. Or anything that doesn't have C clips... a narrowed 9" or an 8" would be good.
Would an 8.8 take a 440??

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Would an 8.8 take a 440??
A 31 spline 8.8 is about on par with a Dana 44/maybe a Dana 50. Maybe about equal to a rear Dana 60 from a car application - ring gear on that is bigger but the axle shafts can be about the same size. It's probably one of the strongest small & lightweight axles that you can get in stock form at a junkyard. It will of course be significantly less strong than say a full float 14 bolt/Sterling/D60/70 etc but those are huge & very heavy.

IMO it would be no problem at all.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A 31 spline 8.8 is about on par with a Dana 44/maybe a Dana 50. Maybe about equal to a rear Dana 60 from a car application - ring gear on that is bigger but the axle shafts can be about the same size. It's probably one of the strongest small & lightweight axles that you can get in stock form at a junkyard. It will of course be significantly less strong than say a full float 14 bolt/Sterling/D60/70 etc but those are huge & very heavy.

IMO it would be no problem at all.
Didnt realize they were that stout

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree that an 8.8 built with good parts should hold up unless you put slicks on it and run a spool. But it's not as rugged as a Dana 60, nor as heavy and mean to work on. I prefer a 9 inch for ease of working on it but they're also heavier than 8.8's.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT

The plan is running and driving [not full tilt] on the 8.8 I have then running a 8.8 that's stock disc brake over drum or swaping it over and use the 2in on both sides to my advantage of track width not putting full tilt on the motor till lsd and c clip removed and bracing the axle in prep for when I build the motor but that's so far down the list that I'm more worried about driving over power

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
I would think about putting big rad as far back as feasible behind cab and use electric fans and pump. Orientation doesn't really matter. Could be under box...
Put fuel cell behind axle.
Aluminum bumpers.
Remove window regulators and use snap in plastic windows.
Set engine back by redoing firewall.
The plan is a rad pushing into the core support do to plans for a tube frame and fuel cell has to go behind the cab just case I go 4 link staying stock front and tube roll pan in the rear [probably filled with weight ] still wanting the rear box usable for now till I get another small truck to drive to places when my f150 is down and I'm trying not to push the firewall back unless needed the cab and motor will be strictly only things needed for it to be street legal in the summer till I get more of the small things that idk if it will fit figured out

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
I agree that an 8.8 built with good parts should hold up unless you put slicks on it and run a spool. But it's not as rugged as a Dana 60, nor as heavy and mean to work on. I prefer a 9 inch for ease of working on it but they're also heavier than 8.8's.
I would take a 9 if I could find one for cheap like less 300 because 300 I'll have the 8.8 setup the way I want

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals