• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Betcha never seen this on HGTV...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a huge pile of low performance surplus parts from my V8 swap, namely two SBF's that need completly rebuilt along with other odds and ends. Since I am buying a house and a guy needs a good sturdy end table, why not use a huge hunk of cast iron so it won't blow away?

The plan is to put a shell of an engine (block, crank, heads, valve covers, headers, intake, timing cover, WP, cool squished fan, balancer, extra dizzy) on the cradle, shim above the intake with some sort of a spacer and sandwich a piece of plexiglass between the carb and the intake for a table top. And then have a pipe fastened to a nut screwed on the aircleaner stud and have a lamp above the carb (resembling an air filter) The route the lamp wiring down the pipe, into the carb and out the vacuum port on the rear of the intake.

Between a lopo 1967 2bbl 289 and a 1978 D8VE 302 that I have... the 302 is supposed to be a stronger block and I feel much less bad about sending its crappy heads to the iron pile than the 289's. Mind you both engines need bored (both have a lot of ring groove and the 289 is scored on #4) and the cranks turned (neither have been turned before and are scored)

So I opt to keep the D8VE block in cold storage, scrap its heads and have fun with the 289. I will probably use a deep front sump oil pan but since the dual sump was handy I threw it on.

I had this idea when I saw my first engine cradle at a swap meet, I did a little digging around and I found one I liked better for $10 more at Speedway motors. It has a little more flotation and should be easier on flooring.

As you can see the heads have had a better day, the ends of the valves were mushroomed to the point that they had to be driven out... since about half the valves were rusted in there I wasn't too worried about hurting the guides. You can also see where the rail rockers had worn down enough they were driving on the retainers. They don't have hardened seats... basically they would need a full tour through a machine shop to be operational again.

Everything will be painted to help prevent rust. It is a concern with a table weighing several hundred pounds, I have to take it apart to move it and I don't want to stain anything if I can help it.

My box of tricks. The headers are the factory ones off of a 1994 Mustang GT that a guy gave me for my swap, they did not fit and he didn't want them back. The fan and water pump came with the 289 and the the timing cover is off of my '87 (filled in dipstick and fuel pump holes)

Last edited:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love car part furniture!

jhammel85

This is going to be pretty cool. I plan to turn my 2.9 into a table one day.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my house is decorated with ranger parts also :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those links are pretty cool, I do know where there is a VW flat four block for a coffee table (to go with my SBF end table) I would have to find a set of junk jugs for it though, kinda hard to tell what it is without them...

Kinda wonder why they don't mention the Ford V10, if you want a bunch of cylinders it would be a lot cheaper than something out of a high end car.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
A table made out of an old engine block would be awesome. I have always wanted one like they have on top gear :headbang:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been working on it here and there when I get time...

A guy gave me a complete 302 out of a truck, I liked how its pan looked the best (conditionwise)

Felt very wrong painting an engine like this...

Quite possibly the prettiest feedback 2150 in existance today... 'tis a shame it will hardly visable. Between several coats of my favorite argent paint (CIH B17567N) and gloss clear it almost looks like very high quality plastic.

Changed plans on the lamp design, going to have rope lighting in the air filter housing. Due to wire routing I can't really test it on the engine but it looks good and puts out a lot of light on the bench.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Absolutely love it man! That looks awesome. I can't wait to see the final product.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals