• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best way to adapt steel fuel lines to factory connections?

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Time to run the fuel lines in my 5.0 swap.....I was going to use steel braided line and by all the fittings but its upwards of 300 bucks and I really would prefer steel lines to braided. How would I adapt steel lines to the ford fuel line disconnects and the fittings at the fuel filter housing that is empty. Im trying to avoid using any hoses to attach things.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My solution was to purchase a pre-made 3/8" metal push on from Autozone and a couple 5/16" nylon fuel line couplers.

Cut a couple inches off one end and silver soldered it to the hard stainless return line from the 5.0. A 3/8" to 5/16" compression union would work.

Cut both the nylon lines between the Ranger fuel filter and fuel tank. Used fuel rated 5/16" press in couplers to swap the two ends.

Plug the larger end onto the 3/8" push on, plug the smaller one onto an Explorer fuel filter and you're done. -- Only thing left is to pop the FPR off of the fuel pump assembly in the tank.

Last edited:

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
any more pics im having trouble visualizing

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im working with a 5.0 engine and an 87 bronco 2 by the way

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OOPS! Just realized you're going even older than I'd thought.

Still, consider using compression fittings or heck, get a double flaring tool and use flare fittings with unions for the fuel lines.

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i can probably get away with using one solid piece on return and pressure so no compression fittings nescessary but i just need to figure out how to adapt to the ford fuel quick disconnects...I guess I could always cut those off and flare the tube and use a union to the piece I bend back to the pump

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can buy both the 3/8 & 5/16 metal line repair pieces at the local auto parts house. They'll plug into the oem quick connects and then you're simply looking at metal to metal joints.

Any chance you can find a set of Explorer hard fuel lines at a breakers yard? A bit of re-shaping and you'd have most of your fuel line issues resolved.

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can buy both the 3/8 & 5/16 metal line repair pieces at the local auto parts house. They'll plug into the oem quick connects and then you're simply looking at metal to metal joints.

Any chance you can find a set of Explorer hard fuel lines at a breakers yard? A bit of re-shaping and you'd have most of your fuel line issues resolved.
yeah ill go look at some different year explorers tomorrow to see if i can use anything...ill also check out the HELP section of advance to see what they have

surratt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up removing the entire stock system. Removed the frame canister and the high pressure frame pump. Used russell efi adaptors to run steel braided line front to rear. Turned out pretty damn nice if i must say so myself

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals