• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to 4.10s, and posi in 35ttb

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I have a 4.10, posi 8.8 to throw in the back of my truck, but need something to stick in the front to match. I have a set of 44ttb in my parts stash, but I don’t think I want to deal with that swap not do I need or want the extra width. I’d like to figure out what’s the cheapest and easiest option to get a 35ttb geared to 4.10, and preferably put a trutrac in the front.

Currently I’m planning to buy an Eaton Trutrac #912A569 and flipping the worm gears backwards, along with every seal and bearing I can replace. My one issue is finding 4.10 gears to stick in it. Can’t seem to find anything that definitively works in the ttb.

Also open to any tips or tricks to make the process go smoother or save monies

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Bronco graveyard has gears bearing kits everything else, they even have trutracs. I would just regear what you have. I would believe you will be looking for a while to find a stock one with 410. There out there but hard to find. Even if you pulled your D35 third member out and sent it to someone to regear it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what does flipping the worm gears accomplish?
Trutracs work in forward and reverse.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
By the way, no Ford ever had a "posi", positraction was GM's trade name for their weak kneed limited slip that most high performance GM owners replaced with Ford 9 inch rears because they got sick of breaking them. Limited slip front works great off road but it's absolutely treacherous to drive on slippery roads. Never mind, I just noticed you're in Florida.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Its also a lot of fun when there is sand or slight drizzle on the road. My wife found out pulling out of a walmart that someone had spilled pea gravel on the road by the driveway. She had an 88 bmw 325is (with stock lsd 3.73 gears) and did a 360 in the street. She came home and wanted the lsd swapped immediately to an open.

Worked out great since my 89 325i had an open 3.73. The swap made autocross more fun for me afterwards.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Bronco graveyard has gears bearing kits everything else, they even have trutracs. I would just regear what you have. I would believe you will be looking for a while to find a stock one with 410. There out there but hard to find. Even if you pulled your D35 third member out and sent it to someone to regear it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Man BG is proud of those gears, $390 is a bit more than I was hoping to pay for gears alone, but if they are the only one in stock I guess I don’t have much choice. I’ll call a few places tomorrow and see what a shop charges, I like tackling stuff myself which is why I wanted a spare one to play with.

what does flipping the worm gears accomplish?
Trutracs work in forward and reverse.
From what I have read about it, they have a looser bias In reverse than forward and since it will be a rear unit stuffed in a front axle it’s best to flip them. Again that’s just something I’ve seen on various forums.

By the way, no Ford ever had a "posi", positraction was GM's trade name for their weak kneed limited slip that most high performance GM owners replaced with Ford 9 inch rears because they got sick of breaking them. Limited slip front works great off road but it's absolutely treacherous to drive on slippery roads. Never mind, I just noticed you're in Florida.
Sorry sorry I know posi is a GM thing, posi is just easier to type than limited slip. Plus, I’m a GM guy except when it comes to mini trucks;).

Its also a lot of fun when there is sand or slight drizzle on the road. My wife found out pulling out of a walmart that someone had spilled pea gravel on the road by the driveway. She had an 88 bmw 325is (with stock lsd 3.73 gears) and did a 360 in the street. She came home and wanted the lsd swapped immediately to an open.

Worked out great since my 89 325i had an open 3.73. The swap made autocross more fun for me afterwards.
I’m not scared of a little sideways action, everything else I own has some sort of traction device in the rear. Sand over pavement, and wet grass is the closest thing Florida has to ice or snow. I miss up north parking lot drift season sometimes.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Limited slip front works great off road but it's absolutely treacherous to drive on slippery roads. Never mind, I just noticed you're in Florida.
Have you driven a vehicle with a Detroit Truetrac in the front? They handle just like an open differential until you start to loose traction, way different than a traditional clutch type limited slip.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Have you driven a vehicle with a Detroit Truetrac in the front? They handle just like an open differential until you start to loose traction, way different than a traditional clutch type limited slip.
No, the ones I drove were all clutch type and were old enough to have locking hubs and were pretty exciting on snowy roads.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You rock! That’s a big savings, local drivetrain shop hasn’t gotten back to me yet, but I’d really prefer to try to do it all myself.

badgs750

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have recently started looking for a 4.11 ring and pinion for a Dana 35TTB that I plan on rebuilding to swap into My 89 Ranger. The amazon link (from Shran) above doesn't have the Dana 35 reverse rotation 4.11 R&P as an option. I have looked online and called several places. What I have found is that Yukon Gear is out of stock until sometime in Feb. They said they are expecting 100 sets. Price is going up roughly to $370. Tried ordering from a few places online to grab the old price (ones that didn't list as out of stock/back ordered), but all came back to say they didn't have any and on back order. You can go on Yukon's site and next to the part YG M35R-411R, you can put in your email and they will notify you when they get more. I ran out of options, so I'm stuck waiting. Thought this might be helpful.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have recently started looking for a 4.11 ring and pinion for a Dana 35TTB that I plan on rebuilding to swap into My 89 Ranger. The amazon link (from Shran) above doesn't have the Dana 35 reverse rotation 4.11 R&P as an option. I have looked online and called several places. What I have found is that Yukon Gear is out of stock until sometime in Feb. They said they are expecting 100 sets. Price is going up roughly to $370. Tried ordering from a few places online to grab the old price (ones that didn't list as out of stock/back ordered), but all came back to say they didn't have any and on back order. You can go on Yukon's site and next to the part YG M35R-411R, you can put in your email and they will notify you when they get more. I ran out of options, so I'm stuck waiting. Thought this might be helpful.
Dang it. They were in stock the other day. That is a bummer, and was a great price.

Dana gears are another option but I couldn't find a part number for them and they may not even be available anyway.

Another option is car-part.com, you could search for a complete front axle and see if the junkyards that have them in stock would sell just the 3rd member. I bet it would be cheaper than $370+an install kit + labor.

badgs750

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
That is actually a great idea! I had for gotten about that site. Thank you!

Wannagodiving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can you run a front 411 gear when you have a rear 4.10? That sounds like it would end up having more wear…. I’m trying to swap my 28 in my 89 ranger right now too, I have a fx4 rear end with 4.10s going in the rear, along with everything from the fx4 drivetrain I can use(engine, tranny, transfer case)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
4:11 should be fine. Tire diameter differences are a greater %.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals