• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Thing You've ever sold

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I'm questioning your sanity, Robert... (jk, I haven't even met your wife.)

First off, that must be one Helluva ring.

Secondly, what year was the Porsche? An early 1970 911S is sought after, more than the E, T, or the L. And if it's in good condition, it can be had for anywhere from 15K to 30K.

Pics of any of these?

As far as my best sale?

Best thing I ever bought for $150 was a set of 33x12.50x15 Pro Comps with 80% tread on shiny new 15x10 Rockcrawlers. Oh, and the 5th fullsize spare was perfect and had never seen pavement.

Best thing I ever sold: nothing really. Sold a POS Altima once for $600, but that's nothing special.

Pete
Correct about the early Porsches. I had a 72 911S with the 165+ hp motor back in the mid 80's. Great lightweight super rocket with the ducktail spoiler and 16 inch rims. Beautiful white and black combo with black interior. No back seat since is was a street legal road racer. I bought it while I was stationed at US SOCOM, Macdill AFB. The officer I bought it from had bought it in Germany and brought it back to Tampa. It had 23,000 miles on it. He could not keep it running for more than 2-3 min. I paid him $3200.00 and I had to remove the motor to replace some gaskets, rebuild the carbs and the clutch setup. That was a wicked ride and it was in mint shape. I kept it for 10 years and sold it to a vintage racer from Miami. I got $15,900 cash for it. I only let it go to buy our second house. I sold my 87 'Vette at the same time frame so our new house payments would only be about $600 a month. I still miss those cars!!!!!! But....I love our home and property.......

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought a 1997 White Explorer sport, 2wd, 5speed, locally *Midwest* that was a one owner truck from Florida with 114K on the clock for $600. Drove it for 5 months with nothing but an oilchange and gas, and a friend traded me his 2001 ford taurus SES for it, which I then sold for $2700

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whoa - It didn't all go to the ring. My 911S was fun, but had major issues with the engine. It was a '76 with the 2.7. Those dudes had mis-matched thermal expansion coefficients of the studs and the cylinders, cylinder heads and the cam-shaft thingy that went on top. It would basically just pull the studs right out of the "block" (if you can call it that.) It did it once, I completely re-built it with the better timing chain tensioners, lots of new parts, Helicoiled the stud threads in the block. It did it again and I was through. It did teach me not to lift in a corner though - ass-heavy thing it was.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
No buy or sell stories, but I come across good deals.:icon_thumby:
Got a 01 Hyundai Elantra for free cause it wouldn't pass inspection. $200 and a shady inspection sticker later I drove it for almost 2 years. 200K miles, leaked everything, tranny slipped bad. Traded it straight trade for my Ranger cause it had a cracked windshield and bad fuel pump, and minor stuff. Best trade ever.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There ya go. Got rid of a turd AND got a Ranger.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
yeah it was a great first car, but i love my ranger. i will miss fwd rallying and winter drifting lol

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Per Gwaii's requests:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lost my 89 BMW 325I droptop,had to let it go in divorce.............should have rented a woodchipper instead of hiring a Lawyer......

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Correct about the early Porsches. I had a 72 911S with the 165+ hp motor back in the mid 80's. Great lightweight super rocket with the ducktail spoiler and 16 inch rims. Beautiful white and black combo with black interior. No back seat since is was a street legal road racer. I bought it while I was stationed at US SOCOM, Macdill AFB. The officer I bought it from had bought it in Germany and brought it back to Tampa. It had 23,000 miles on it. He could not keep it running for more than 2-3 min. I paid him $3200.00 and I had to remove the motor to replace some gaskets, rebuild the carbs and the clutch setup. That was a wicked ride and it was in mint shape. I kept it for 10 years and sold it to a vintage racer from Miami. I got $15,900 cash for it. I only let it go to buy our second house. I sold my 87 'Vette at the same time frame so our new house payments would only be about $600 a month. I still miss those cars!!!!!! But....I love our home and property.......
I would have loved that car. Mid 1980's 2.7L SC will be my weekend warrior (hopefully after about another 5 years from now.) Were the gaskets and carbs (Zenith/Solex/Weber) the only thing wrong with it (why is wasn't running for more than a few minutes)?

This is currently my other project: Stock & very original, matching #'s 914/6 that came with the 2.0T from Germany. Special tools, galore! (i.e.: 46mm crows foot?) I'm hoping for 125hp stock on a 1,900# body. I've rebuilt the rack, entire brake system (pedal cluster to caliper cylinder), powdercoated & rebuilt suspension, full rebuild on the tranny, and am waiting for pistons & cylinders to come back from the machine shop. Rebuilding the Weber triple throat carbs now...

Whoa - It didn't all go to the ring. My 911S was fun, but had major issues with the engine. It was a '76 with the 2.7. Those dudes had mis-matched thermal expansion coefficients of the studs and the cylinders, cylinder heads and the cam-shaft thingy that went on top. It would basically just pull the studs right out of the "block" (if you can call it that.) It did it once, I completely re-built it with the better timing chain tensioners, lots of new parts, Helicoiled the stud threads in the block. It did it again and I was through. It did teach me not to lift in a corner though - ass-heavy thing it was.
The last year, IIRC, was 1979 when they still used the full magnesium cases for the 2.7L. They were stressing the limits with the displacement, while the dilaver head studs werent all that great either (they were steel or a composite) and pulled out under a lot of stress & heat. Another reason for improper cooling was the fan: it only had 9 blades as opposed to a more efficient 11.

The mechanical chain tensioners are fine, but fail after use & fatigue. I plan on doing your upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners when I get closer to that part of the build.

Helicoil and case savers are a PITA. I assisted a friend once with a spark plug...yea, not again.

There ya go. Got rid of a turd AND got a Ranger.
In this case, I would have preferred the #2 to the "Deuce", too! :icon_rofl:

Pete

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
And Robert, that MG is classic and awesome! The styling and wire spoke wheels are so timeless, I'd be crashing my ranger if I saw that on the road.

What drivetrain did that come with?

KARMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
1974 Vega

This (of course) happened many, many years ago
My friend's mom told him to get it out of the driveway.
He dumped at my house and signed over the title ($0).
A couple of weeks later another friend offered me several hundred for it.
I told him it had a leaky radiator and warned him to check the coolant often.
He bought it and never opened the hood, EVER.:annoyed:
The car overheated a few weeks later and the engine seized.
I never actually drove the car and never put a penny into it.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man, we didn't even get on that discussion on the banner transfer. The MGA has an MGB motor - 1800 CC's of pure love versus the 1500 it came with. It's an 18GH motor which I think was about 1972. It's a drop in replacement except the starter sticks up into the passenger side floor board. I mean board. They're wood. My old '67 B was the best they ever made IMHO. It had the 5 main bearing engine and I put a later model fully syncronized tranny in it with overdrive. You had to flip an electric switch on the dashboard to put the tranny in OD - it was a hoot. It's like your first love, hard to forget. And Gwaii, yeah, if one had the time or the money, the A would be easily restorable. Very minor amounts of rust. The guy I'm selling it to had an A and I care more about it getting on the road again than the money. He's a cool dude - has restored 240Z's etc.

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love the old Euro stuff.
Nice ride pete!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals