• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Ranger

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking about getting a newer truck when i get out of school and work full time. I love my truck to death but it has had the piss pounded out of it and I see no hope for it:sad:

I want a compact truck and I like the ranger. I was just curious which of the newer rangers is the best. Im deff. gonna have to get extended cab this time around.

I was also debating engine size. I like my little 4 banger. But I was thinking about the 4.0 or maybe being smart and getting the 3.0.

Any advice?

Thanks

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Don't forget, the newer 4 banger has more balls than our old Limas do!! The HP is almost that of the 3.0.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
cant get a 4x4 4cyc though, :bsflag: is what i think

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
out of all small trucks available, the ranger is without a doubt still the best...however, lets not rule out used vehicles. you can pick up a decent, lower mileage gen 3 for only 2-3k these days. and what you save in monthy payments can go towards mods.

i think everyone knows what motor ill vote for :tease:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
If your gonna get a 2wd, get one with a Duratec 2.3 (01 or newer). Way better fuel mileage than either V6 and will hand the 3.0 it's ass. Plus those trucks (98 and newer) have a longer wheelbase (better ride/handling) more cab room and have a better front suspension. I've seen them as low as $4000 for one in good condition with under 100K, so shop around.

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
im deff. getting 4x4 and not looking for a newbie. A used truck is what im looking for. So im gonna have to rule out the 2.3. 3.0 or 4.0?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
then you need to figure out where you want to be in the horsepower/economy spectrum. a 4.0 will give you plenty of power, but will hit you at the pumps...where a 2.3 will sip fuel...but may leave you at the tail end of traffic. a 3.0 would be in between (and anyone who thinks a 2.3 will outpace a 3.0 doesnt know how to drive.....and i will put my motor where my mouth is).

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
one of my buddies had a 4.0 and the power was crazy. I will probabaly get that then have to pay at the pumps but hey mine as well spend your money on something you like.

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
what year rangers come with manual t-case and hubs. Well i could replace the hubs easily but the manual t-case is a must.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
up untill 97 had regular manual locking hubs available. 98-00 had pulse vacuum hubs, which could be made to be manual with an AVM kit or by modifying the stock hubs. 01+ are live axle.

i believe all those years had available manual t-cases (though, an electric t-case can be swapped out just as easily as hubs)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2002-up trucks don't have hubs, the front differential is engaged all the time, even in 2wd. I don't think they can be easily converted. I believe 2002 was also the last year for the manual t-case, I could be wrong though.

Danger-Ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm biased, so i'm going to get a gen 3 4.0L, sure it burns a bit of gas but hell, the way i see it you don't buy gas to save, you buy gas to burn!

Honestly i love the look of the gen 3s and it's relatively simple to work on (i suppose this is the case for every ranger anyways) I have an XL so its manual tranny, manual tcase and manual hubs (warn to be specific)

Last edited:

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2002-up trucks don't have hubs, the front differential is engaged all the time, even in 2wd. I don't think they can be easily converted. I believe 2002 was also the last year for the manual t-case, I could be wrong though.
nope my '03 has a manual tcase! I wouldn't have it any othe way! :clapping:

92_Ranger_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4 all the way

Go with a 4.0 wit four wheel drive you may pay at the pump, but you got lots of power and could go way more placeless than wit a two wheel drive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals