• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best price/performance exhaust?

AtillaTheHung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey folks, I am very new to this forum. So please no flaming too quickly. I have a a 2010 XLT v6 4.0 Ranger, and a pretty tricky question. I am wanting to run an exhaust. I don't want **TOO** much of a rice sound, but I don't mind it being a little annoying since I'm on a pretty tight budget. My budget is about $250-300. I don't want to run a glasspack either. I was hoping I could run the Flowmaster 44 on the stock pipe. How would that sound with cats and all?

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
go to an independent shop and see what they can build for ya. I had a 2.5 inch Y pipe back with high flow cat and a magnaflo muffler installed some years ago for around $3-400 but it was custom made for the truck. All pipes had minimum bends (did not have one of the fancy machines) so that there would not be a lot of back pressure. Sounded a little loud at firs but has quieted down, but still is throaty enough.

So check around to see what is available. 2.5 inch is the max according to the guy who did mine, said could go 25% larger for good effect, larger could cause power loss.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It may come down to preference but I think it's tough to make the 4.0 SOHC sound all that great. I put a flowmaster 40 knockoff on mine, drove down the street and back and took it off. It was way louder than what I wanted (even with cats) and the automatic transmission just made it sound terrible. Ended up with a custom made dual exhaust with two Thrush Turbos, it's not the worst sounding V6 I've heard and fairly mellow although it is louder now that I've been driving it a few weeks than it was when I first put it on.

Dynomax makes a pretty good cat back with either their super turbo or ultra flow, from the videos I saw on youtube it sounded pretty good and I probably would have gone with that if I wanted a single exhaust.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you do more than just changing the muffler I would go stainless. And if you just change the muffler I would try to find a stainless one.

I went the plain steel route and they last about 3 years, at $500 for duals the first time that gets painful enough. It was replaced with newer mufflers (same time, they also lasted about 3 more years and need replaced again) and turndowns.

And a nice thing about going with a kit is if you need to change something you just change it. For mine (2002 F-150 with two cats per bank) they cut the y-pipe and ran true duals back... so now to change to a out of a box setup I have to have that refabricated. If I want new duals they have to be refabricated. I kinda painted myself in a corner by specifying what I wanted from the start.

I love the sound but I don't know as I would change the exhaust again on a dd. :dntknw:

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Since you're on a budget a magnaflow knock-off (flo-pro) is a good option. This exhaust will provide a deep sound.

SignalZero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been wondering about that system myself. Haven't really seen much on it other than the reviews on their site.
Looks good...and I'm going to get flamed for this, but whatever...I cut the muffler out of my stock system, and it has a pleasant gurgle...not loud, sounds like it has a Flowmaster. So, I'm going to nix the glasspack tips when I get it and go with shiny pretty normal tips.

Seems like a cheaper option than getting custom bent pipes and the repeat trips that can (and usually does) entail.

4x4, so true duals isn't an option without a stupid body lift.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a magnaflow turbo with a turn down before the rear axle. It has a nice little drone, not loud, but I like to hear the engine exhaust and stereo and engine noises, and the phone, but often, not my wife.:bawling:

I took a quick trip when I cut off the muffler and tail pipe, too damn loud for me when I got on the gas and ricey like the fart cans on those hopped-up Suraru's.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4, so true duals isn't an option without a stupid body lift.
Nothing wrong with a bodylift. And 4wd has nothing to do with with it so much as the fuel tank.

Simple solution for duals (if you want to install a cat on each bank to keep it running right) is to run them both down the passenger side. If you are picky enough to worry that one is a couple feet longer than the other cross them and it comes out the same. That is how mine is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals