• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best place to reflash a PCM

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In the middle of the swap of the 1999 5.0 into a 1996 Ranger.
I have converted the fuel system over to the higher pressure Explorer system and simply want to program out the PATS system.

Either that, or does anyone know for sure if a over the counter '96 Explorer will fire the injectors properly?

I was going to swap out the steering column but the Explorer was totaled and the airbag deployed and steering column is kind of trashing acting?

Thanks!

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All you need is the pats module and the key with the key receiver. I have the wiring diagrams. I. In the same boat right now. I am putting a gt40p 2000 5.0 into my 93 4x4 splash. Pm me if you need any more help

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Will try to pm. I am a newbie on here and have seen some sites don't allow pm until so many posts.
I have both vehicles. The '99 I have 2 keys for it.
Thanks!

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Bumping this thread.
Still in a quandary as to what to do. The 1999 Mountaineer only has one key. The steering column and shifter does not feel as good as the Ranger. Air bag deployed and there are a rats nest of wire and splices under the dash.

Given the Ranger steering wheel fits but the airbag wiring connectors are different and wiring different colors, and there is only one key I really would like to bypass PATS altogether. I have no success finding an outfit to reflash the PCM.

The autoparts does not seem to be able to get one for a '96 and I am uncertain if it would work? The PCM for an older pre PATS 5.0 should not care about fuel,pressure difference should it? Would there be any other problems with simply switching PCM from older 5.0 with same tranny?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you have the explorer computer and pats module all you need to do is program new keys cut for the rangers ignition. There's nothing in the column specific to the pats system or keys, just the receiver that reads the rfid code and sends it to the module for verification.

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What I am having issues with is the specific wiring. I do not have the schematic to splice it out. I have the donor car, totaled and one key, thought I had a second. I seem to have some understanding but not exact.

I need the transmitter (?) from around the key switch and a receiver from under the dash somewhere on donor and wire together with 12 volt when Ranger key energizes it, correct?

But really would like a diagram or link.

Thanks!

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have the wiring diagrams for 2000 explorer here i could send you them. pm me and i can get your email

540milotalon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks but I may have finally found what I needed. I have been on this site searching threads and a couple other sites too. Found a diagram that shows tying in several wires from the cylinder ring to the receiver behind glove box airbag including a constant hot, KO hot and ground. I was side tracked with the oil pan and electric radiator fan. I am planning for 2 fans, one off t-stat and one off a toggle and tied to the a/c circuit. All that is done.

After assembly of those parts I need the drive shaft and fill with fluid and turn the key. Will try to keep posted.

My Dakota Digital device to convert the VSS for speedometer came today, Saturday dropped by Fedex.
Once it starts it goes out for exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals