• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best (or high value) DIY Bed Liner for Cab Floor

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I'm in the process of gutting and redoing the floor on my 84 BII and I've decided to give up on the carpet. First I'm going to POR-15 the whole floor and use some rubberized sound and heat insulation spray I found at Fleet Farm in the foot areas. On top of that I'd like to put some bed liner, preferably a roll/brush on type since I'm too lazy to do a lot of masking and don't want to buy a special spray gun for it.

My question is, what have other people used and liked? I like the Line-X in the bed of my F-150 but don't want to shell out the hundreds of dollars for it for my BII. What I like about it is that it's fairly thick, durable, and somewhat soft (Rhino Lining is even softer but same cost issue). I did the floor of my dad's BII with Rustoleum Spray Can bed liner and it seems a bit harder and thinner than I'd like although the durability and toughness seems ok. I also have experience with Herculiner in my old Ranger bed, that stuff is tough enough to draw blood if you rubbed against it so I'd like to try something else.

I'm kinda leaning towards Rustoleum bed liner in the one gallon can (I can find it for $43 locally so it's fairly cost effective) and I know that being a roll on type I should have better control over the thickness of it compared to the spray can I used before (and being a gallon it should get plenty thick) or Dupli-Color Bed Armor ($75 from Amazon.com, Prime Eligible). I don't have any experience with this product so I'd be going in blind. Any other suggestions or experience with either of these products? I'd like to keep the cost under control, I know there are some great expensive products out there but I just don't want to spend them money on them, I'm already in this floor project for about $80 for the POR-15 so I'd like to keep it under about $100 for the bed liner including shipping.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Of the roll on bed liners, I lie Hurculiner the best.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Monstaliner. Soft (gets texture from roller not grit in the liner), uv proof, tons of color options.

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can go wrong with Hurculiner and Rustoleum. Just prep really well the surface to obtain the best result.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly I've never seen a roll or brush on liner that I did like so I'm not going to comment on those.

Ever heard of U-Pol Raptor liner? I know you said that you prefer brush or roll on and Raptor is a spray on, but your main reason was buying a spray gun and masking. Raptor kits come with a spray gun, can be had off eBay for about 120 shipped, and don't really require that much masking. It's a little more expensive and a little more work, but I think it'll give a lot better results. It'll also double as sound deadening material for the whole floor not just in the foot wells. I've personally never used it, but I've read a lot of reviews about how good it is and know a few people that have used it and liked it. Advertised as enough to do an 8 foot truck bed, but I can't say how far that will go on a BII floor pan. Will likely use it for the bed of my own '99 Ranger since I need to re-do the "professional" liner that was installed after I bought it. If you decide to give it a try make sure that you order the black kit if that's what you want, they also have a tintable version that you have to supply your own pigment for.

I'd be careful with that rubberized deadner and insulator. I've come across more than a few of those that never fully dry. Might want to find some place to test it before you spray it in the foot wells or you may end up with a big mess.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
raptor liner hands down! made by upol its a urethane spray on liner. very very durable. i have my rocks rear tailgate and bumpers sprayed in this stuff from 3 years ago and its still holding up awesome! i even run over trees and hit some rocks from time to time . theres many scratchs on it from the trees but it hast been taken off yet!

tp tools usually has them for about 100-120 i would mask off what ever you dont want liner on. i spray it at about 70 psi for the testure and the "splatter" likes to get into places you dont want it.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Honestly I've never seen a roll or brush on liner that I did like so I'm not going to comment on those.

Ever heard of U-Pol Raptor liner? I know you said that you prefer brush or roll on and Raptor is a spray on, but your main reason was buying a spray gun and masking. Raptor kits come with a spray gun, can be had off eBay for about 120 shipped, and don't really require that much masking. It's a little more expensive and a little more work, but I think it'll give a lot better results. It'll also double as sound deadening material for the whole floor not just in the foot wells. I've personally never used it, but I've read a lot of reviews about how good it is and know a few people that have used it and liked it. Advertised as enough to do an 8 foot truck bed, but I can't say how far that will go on a BII floor pan. Will likely use it for the bed of my own '99 Ranger since I need to re-do the "professional" liner that was installed after I bought it. If you decide to give it a try make sure that you order the black kit if that's what you want, they also have a tintable version that you have to supply your own pigment for.

I'd be careful with that rubberized deadner and insulator. I've come across more than a few of those that never fully dry. Might want to find some place to test it before you spray it in the foot wells or you may end up with a big mess.
Josh, is this the one you're talking about: http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-0820V-GUN-Black-URETHANE-Truck/dp/B003TQIIPG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t ?

It appears to come with the gun, which is plus, and it's only $120.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes that's the stuff. Google search and read some reviews, a lot of those and how-tos out there on the net.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Well, I ended up going with Rustoleum roll on bed liner. It's not quite as soft as I would have hoped but it appears to be nice and durable and will last a long time. I would have liked to use the Upol stuff but the low price and local, immediate availability of the Rustoleum was just too tempting. I appreciate all the recommendations.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals