• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best combination of Parts for 302 swap

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
After reading and researching as much as I could about this, it becomes apparent that there are way to many options available about this. IE, trannys, T-cases, suspension mods, axles,etc. So if you were wanting to build a safe, reliable, easy as possible rig, what would you use? Keeping in mind, manual trans, keeping the BW1350 if possible, if not, which one? I realize it all depends on parts available and time and money.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
M5ODR2 trans for the 302 swap. reliable, and if you're not shooting for BIG power ( >400HP), will not be the weak link.

D35 front with the c clip mod, and aftermarket warn or Mile Marker hubs. If you're not going big with lift, this works very well.

95+ 8.8 disc rear with LSD.

R&R all of the pivot points. that means spring eyelets, ball joints, U-Joints, sway bar urethane, TTB pivots, etc. Nothing feels better than to drive a vehicle with tight running gear.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well with a ttb truck theres need for the fox type oil pan ect, so straight swapping from an explorer is not so simple...so i wouid also take time to consider an ecoboost 4cyl or 5.3 ls.

the eco can use the ranger 2.5 stuff, so keeping the t case is possible but not sure how ttb friendly this would be. i will look into it over this winter though.

the 5.3 will replace the whole powertrain....a turn key take out would be ideal.

the 302, if you can find a low mile donor can be fitted somewhat easier depending on your skill capacity. but if your proficient its a non issue and smarter choice for a 5.3.

goals and intentions are key to what a best combo would be.

its the reason there is such a broad variance to begin wit.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It all depends on the level/use of the vehicle you desire. My stock suspension, somewhat DD is also my hunting vehicle and the 5.0 with the M5ODR2 works great with the NP205 TC for me. I made sure to get new body mounts when I put the 3" BL on and that makes it nice and tight. With all new rings, bearings, and a valve job I have about $1000-1200 in a fresh engine. Garvin's machine shop on Stagecoach road did the complex work for me.

I'm in Cove, so if you want to meet and talk about the swap, I'm close by.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
The first few times I did 5.0 swaps I used the build guide from Advance Adapters.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

Read this guys build thread 'til you get it;

http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=12551.0

If swapping 5 litre oil pans is troubling, I'm pretty sure Ecoboost and Chevy swaps are out the window. Don't over think it, set your plan and don't deviate. Most projects fail because of re-engineering during the build.

DO:

rebuild your 302, at least rings and bearings
rebuild your heads
rebuild your tranny
swap explorer d 35 and 8.8 axles, and, yup go thru them as well.
Hedman 88400 headers

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals