• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best brand of Remanufactured Manual Transmission?

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is there any kind of consensus on the best brand of reman transmissions? It looks like Napa and Auto Parts Warehouse use Pro-King, and AutoZone seems to source from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear. Does anyone have experience with these brands?

I am correct in assuming that a remanufactured trans should be more reliable than having one rebuilt, right?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
That is a really good question that I would like to know also. I can't find a shop I trust around here that rebuilds them and some won't even touch them.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Swap in a m5od or sell it and get a manual shift truck!

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry - I should clarify that it is a manual with the M5OD-R1. I'd like to find a remanufactured version to replace it with since I'm getting what I think is a lot of input bearing noise as well as noise in every gear but 4th, which makes me think there may be a couple bearings wearing out...

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
My mistake. M5s are pretty easy to find at yards,. You also want/need to replace the flywheel and clutch components,. If you have the FW resurfaced make sure you get a shim from the shop.

I have one from my truck sitting in my shed. I thought I'd try rebuilding it someday but the one we put in my truck seems okay for now.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On an automatic a reman is more reliable than a field rebuild, almost every time.

On a manual there are fewer things to go wrong, less to break or wear out inside. If your noise goes away in 4th it is either the pocket bearing, which is common, or a counter shaft bearing, as all become unloaded in 4th gear. The speed gears don't usually wear out as long as things are lubed properly, just the bearings and blocker rings.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ah okay. So maybe it would make more sense to just have my existing transmission rebuilt locally or something? Another reason I was looking into the remanufactured ones is that it seems a lot easier... Since I daily drive the truck I thought I could just order the "new" unit and swap it out in a weekend with less downtime. Is there a lot of risk to doing that? I'm assuming it would cost a little more, but my main goal is reliability as my wife and I use the truck for a lot of camping and road trips.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, it would be faster, price may be a wash if you have to have someone do it for you.

If I don't get interrupted I can tear an M5OD down, rebuild, and have it ready to go back in in an afternoon. If you take the trans somewhere it will probably take most of a week, but that guy is probably going to be getting interrupted too.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm definetely not to that level of skill, although I would love to try rebuilding one for the sake of learning. If I didn't need it to get to work everyday I'd be much more inclined to try!

Really I just don't want to go with the wrong brand and end up worse off than I started...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm definetely not to that level of skill, although I would love to try rebuilding one for the sake of learning. If I didn't need it to get to work everyday I'd be much more inclined to try!

Really I just don't want to go with the wrong brand and end up worse off than I started...
These really are the easiest trans I have ever worked on. They are incredibly simple to rebuild, but you have to have a press to do it.

I would look and see if you can get a Jasper reman.

Alternatively if you can pull one from a yard and get it rebuilt by a good local shop, then install that one. They really are fairly common.

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I am curious what you ended up doing. I have the same manual transmission in my 4.0L 92 ranger. It won't shift into first and I am not going to rebuild myself. I have heard poor things about Jasper. Any more thoughts on the issue in regards to brands? Not too worried about the price, I just want a quality reman and would like to not have to do it twice. Although, now I am thinking of throwing a junk yard tran in for the time and having mine remanned.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am curious what you ended up doing. I have the same manual transmission in my 4.0L 92 ranger. It won't shift into first and I am not going to rebuild myself. I have heard poor things about Jasper. Any more thoughts on the issue in regards to brands? Not too worried about the price, I just want a quality reman and would like to not have to do it twice. Although, now I am thinking of throwing a junk yard tran in for the time and having mine remanned.
If you are mechanically inclined the M5OD is a pretty straightforward trans to work on.

I rebuilt mine in my basement last winter.

Shop manual is in here, thrid one down under manual transmissions:

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/transmission-transfer-case-driveshaft/

RedwoodRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you are mechanically inclined the M5OD is a pretty straightforward trans to work on.

I rebuilt mine in my basement last winter.

Shop manual is in here, thrid one down under manual transmissions:

https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/transmission-transfer-case-driveshaft/
Thank you for the reply. I found on from Auto Zone that has a 1 year warranty. I think it is manufactured by MidWest and like $1300 after core. Anyway, I don't have the time to learn how to rebuild it right now, I just need a quick fix so I can get to and from work. I plan on doing the clutch too.

Any advice on trans fluid? I have heard its better to run synthetic.

gri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are some reliable sources for rebuild kits for the m5od-r1? I have '92 3.o

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Any advice on trans fluid? I have heard its better to run synthetic.
Any old Mercon V ATF is good, synthetic is not necessary. I end up with a lot of random fluids from yard sales and stuff, mine has a mix of Mercon V and Chrysler ATF+4 in it right now and all is well. I've run 5w-30 engine oil in them before with mixed results - a couple actually shifted a lot better but others did not. Something to experiment with anyway.

What are some reliable sources for rebuild kits for the m5od-r1? I have '92 3.o
I believe Cobra Transmission is a preferred vendor of several people on here - I got my rebuild kit on eBay and saved quite a few bucks but had issues with it and the seller was hard to work with. YMMV.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals