• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best bolt on mods?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, it absolutely does.

But there is an additional problem. People don't specify what they are actually trying to accomplish, and you get weird comments like "I need more power for towing." We see quite a lot of people making high RPM mods that mess with low RPM, for applications that never redline the engine, and sometimes never use full throttle!

As an engineering student, I'm sure you know what happens when one skips the requirements document and goes straight to fabrication.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Did you measure your reaction time? What were the actual times?
Sorry to bring this thread back so late but I found this question unanswered. I was out of town for awhile and missed it.

Bob, I took reaction times out of the equation as much as I could. That one of the reasons why I chose the 40 to 70 and 50 to 80 mph tests. I began accelerating below the starting speed and started the stop watch the instant the speedometer hit the starting speed, then stopped it the instant it hit the ending speed.

Actual times were:

40 to 70 mph test.

Stock; 9.7 sec.

87 Octane performance program; 9.0 sec.

50 to 80 mph test.

Stock; 9.9 sec.

87 Octane performance program; 9.45 sec.

All tests were done with my ~350 lb shell on the back. I also tried to have the gas tank near the same level. I also did the tests at the same location to eliminate elevation change effects.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
You are exactly right!!! With today's CAFE standards, all vehicle manufacturers design and build their vehicles to be as efficient as possible!!

I hate it when these after-market manufacturers (like K&N, etc.) lie about the performance gains of their air filters, intakes, ignition systems, etc. .......Even worse, people throw millions of $$$ away thinking they work!!!
LOL , funny stuff. The easiest example I have at hand ( easy to look up ) is the last couple of years GM produced the Firebird and Camaro. The 2 cars got the same (exact) engine the base Corvette did but made 15 hp less! The reason was the hood line on the Camaro's required a different routing for the air intake. Anyone that staightened out there airway got 15 dyno prove-able hp back. This was less then 10 years ago.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
LOL , funny stuff. The easiest example I have at hand ( easy to look up ) is the last couple of years GM produced the Firebird and Camaro. The 2 cars got the same (exact) engine the base Corvette did but made 15 hp less! The reason was the hood line on the Camaro's required a different routing for the air intake. Anyone that staightened out there airway got 15 dyno prove-able hp back. This was less then 10 years ago.
Total BS!!!! The cams were different, as well as the heads & valve sizes!!!! The LT-1 Corvette had 2.000" intake valves, the LT-1 used in the
Camaro & Firebird were 1.937"

Last edited:

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, so, my 4.0 liked a cat back exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals