• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best bolt on mods?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's a shame that you have to resort to inuendo and such to try and make up for your lack of 'knowledge' ..................rather childish of you to try and diminish someone else when you have other varieties of vehicles yourself.

The fan clutches are sold for the regular cab and the 4.8L V8 models - even a few 5.3 models had them.

Maybe you can explain the factory wiring harness for the elec fans - even in the 2004 model that we swapped in a set of 05 fans into.

Bird
Ok, here is my proof, where is yours??????? Looks like it's more than just the 4.8L, and a few 5.3L models.......

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thing is, I never said they didn't put them in the Silverado - you're the one that said they don't put the elec fans in.

Now Bob - do a search for elec fans for the 05+ models.............

Proof ??? Well, I've got factory elec fans in mine, pulled a set out another wrecked one and have seen others at the Chevrolet dealership where I worked last year...good enough for me.

Bird

ps. You still haven't explained the factory elec fan harnesses..............

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thing is, I never said they didn't put them in the Silverado - you're the one that said they don't put the elec fans in.

Now Bob - do a search for elec fans for the 05+ models.............

Proof ??? Well, I've got factory elec fans in mine, pulled a set out another wrecked one and have seen others at the Chevrolet dealership where I worked last year...good enough for me.

Bird

ps. You still haven't explained the factory elec fan harnesses..............
I've given proof about the mechanical fans on 2005 Silveradoes!! If you
reread my original post, I said they had a mechanical fan also!!

You haven't proven SQAT on the wiring harnesses!!!

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've given proof about the mechanical fans on 2005 Silveradoes!! If you
reread my original post, I said they had a mechanical fan also!!

You haven't proven SQAT on the wiring harnesses!!!

No Bob, reread your own original post: "That's because it's got a mechanical fan on it also. Try taking the mechanical fan off, and run with just the e-fans."

Never had a mech fan on it and many others didn't also. Bought it this way off the dealer's lot with just the elec fans and the hvy duty towing pkg.

I do, however, understand your innate need to be the ultimate expert on everything on this site, so I'll just bow to your vast knowledge and let others decide what they need for their vehicles from actual factual information presented, not just hearsay.

Bird

Last edited:

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Man is it getting hot in here. Can you old hens stop clucking already lol. Bob you may have your opinions but it doesn't seem that you have any personal experience with running these e fans and are going off of heresay. Perhalps those that have had problems didn't install them properly or used the improper wiring kit.

Bird you mentioned something about the lincoln 2 fans? What model and year? Are you talking about the Lincoln Mark VIII? Is the lighning electric fan better, the same, or worse than the lincoln set up? Does this fan require a special wiring harness? Do I need a different alternator? Thanks

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Man is it getting hot in here. Can you old hens stop clucking already lol. Bob you may have your opinions but it doesn't seem that you have any personal experience with running these e fans and are going off of heresay. Perhalps those that have had problems didn't install them properly or used the improper wiring kit.

Bird you mentioned something about the lincoln 2 fans? What model and year? Are you talking about the Lincoln Mark VIII? Is the lighning electric fan better, the same, or worse than the lincoln set up? Does this fan require a special wiring harness? Do I need a different alternator? Thanks
The Lightning E-fans are kits that we get from aftermarket dealers. I'll try to get some info on them and get back to you either here or over on the other site.

Bird

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
best power mod I ever made to any vehicle is chrome wheels. the toyota in my sig can out accelerate and F-15 and out corner an F-22 Raptor (where is the shakes head smiley).

Bird, I am calling you out on this. Lets see that Silverado tow that Bass Boat over Eisenhower or Vail pass in colorado. Come back and tell me how those electric fans do. If electric fans were really better then the trucking industry WOULD be using them....... as I have yet to see it in Fleet Owner Magazine, it will be safe to say that the trucking industry does not use them.

There are a few of us in here that either tow for a living or work on the vehicles that tow for a living. Every single one of us will tell you that there is no freaking way in hell an electrical fan will out perform a mechanical fan.

and just because the dealer installs it doesn't mean it is a good idea, Rush peterbuilt sells Lucas oil stablizer...... Lucas fucks up the oil filters and causes them to pop the by-pass valve allowing contaminated oil into the engine earlier than normal.

MotoXChamp......... you want an engine that can accelerate, that 4.0L SOHC is it, keep it wound up and learn to use the transmission. get lower (numerically higher) gears for it and you won't need to do the other things. All those other mods are only important if you plan on spinning the engine at 9000 rpms. I had a 91 explorer sitting on 31's with 3.73's and I whooped the holy hell out of a V8 Lexus SUV going over fourth of July pass on I-90 in Idaho over 100 mph, the only mod was a device with a switch that allowed me to shut off the the VSS and an autometer 140 mph speedo (ask teffie, she was with me when I did this)

OHV, SOHC, DOHC....... it doesn't matter, you want any gas engine to perform, keep it would up and learn to use the power curve. you factory computer is sufficient for the cam, you do not need a chip.

Again you do not need to make any mods to that engine....... it is sufficient. All you need to do is learn how to drive it.

Last edited:

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Towing and Ranger Mods

I'm going to have to side with MAKG - and by the way it's impolite to just tell someone they are wrong - you can disagree and still be polite.

Now - Dude - your Ranger comes with: transmission oil cooler, power steering cooler, external oil cooler. a fan designed to go with the cold air box under the radiator and the fan shroud. The cam, valve timing and ignition is comparable to what was a few years ago - racing equipment. This is especially true of the high voltage ignition. They are everything an MSD ($1500 aftermarket) system like what was used in NASCAR and TRANSAM a few years back. Those were all designed by award winning engineers to work together as a system. Then they put their reputation on the line by rating the system to tow whatever it is rated to tow. If you have a short wheelbase Ranger you don't need to pull anything bigger than a 19 foot boat anyway. I spent several years working with a factory race team - the factory people have their business together when it comes to their product. All you need to tow with your Ranger is a good ball of the right size - maybe a good hitch and some stick on blind spot mirrors.

I've owned 5 Rangers and an Explorer since 1990 - all of them performed wonderfully without any modification. Moving the torque curve up only makes the car harder to drive - just ask the guys running normally aspirated 2 liter cars in GTU - and it will suck gasoline like a rockstar does crack.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good - another 'the factory got it right the first time' people - (but, if the factory designs an elec fan setup, did they screw up?). I won't argue that we have great parts in these engines that weren't available even a few years ago - I've been working on them for quite a while now, but have you ever actually opened up the code in the PCM and checked out the spark and fuel tables? Lot's of room for improvement there as most stuff is a compromise to CAFE standards and with judicious adjustments to the tune, the torque curve can very easily be improved down low and extended upwards somewhat for improved towing without harming 'normal' driving MPG. Been there, done that many times on a dyno and through real world testing and have also seen other tuners do the same thing - it's not all smoke and mirrors.

These forums are here to give 'factual' advice to people looking for answers - I give that advice based on actually working with the engines / transmissions that I advise others on - not just vague generalities based on overall theory or experience on a different combination that has nothing to do with the specifics in question. If I don't have actual experience with it - I keep my mouth shut and let others handle it.

Bird

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Good - another 'the factory got it right the first time' people - (but, if the factory designs an elec fan setup, did they screw up?).

no we are not, and we are the first ones to bash ford's choice of automatic transmissions for the RBV. and yes, if Ford, GM, or Dodge did the set up then they probably fucked that up too.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
There are a few of us in here that either tow for a living or work on the vehicles that tow for a living. Every single one of us will tell you that there is no freaking way in hell an electrical fan will out perform a mechanical fan.
Very true!!!

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
only one warning here. PLAY NICE. or there will be no more playing in this thread

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Man how about you get the dang truck first? This guy changes what he wants on each reply... to the point of being silly...

"I'm looking to do some mods to my 4.0 sohc manual ranger. I don't own one yet but I'm trying to figure out how much I will be spending."

:icon_confused:

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
will aftermarket headers on a 94 4.0 help the low end power? I agree i will maybe bring my truck up to a max of 3000 rpm on my daily drive, but having more power in the low end would be nice.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals