• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best affordable head units?

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don’t know crap about audio and the internet is a black hole of info. I’d like to know the units that actually fit my 2004 Ranger XL. I’m considering putting new speakers in the doors as well. Any advice would be appreciated!

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Crutchfield.
Audio equipment buying made easy.

I was in the same boat as you with my 94. Someone here mentioned Crutchfield.
The instructions were simple and easy to follow. Some wiring involved, but extremely simple. Everything is color coded to match your wiring.
You'll still have to decide on the unit you want, but that's another issue.

Last edited:

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You should be able to fit a "double din" in the 2004 with no issues (unless you prefer a single din for some reason), speakers should be 6x8", but you can run round speakers with an adapter plate if necessary as well. Figure out which features you need / want, example; does it need to play CD’s, DVD’s, have AUX Input, USB Input, touch screen, does the USB need to work with your Android or IOS, AM/FM tuner, etc.

Yeah Crutchfield has always been pretty easy to use, at the very least enter your truck info, and see what it says fits.

Name brands like Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc., have been pretty solid over the years.

I try to steer clear of the cheaper flea market head units like Boss, Power Acoustik, etc. My past experience with them, even the touch screens, were like MS-DOS compared to Windows 10, just not very good in comparison.

Depending on your goals, pretty much any modern 6x8 speaker would work well enough, even the budget minded speakers. I'd even say to just try the new head unit with the stock speakers first, and swap speakers if needed.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I didn't like the lower tier HU's at all in the past, but with COVID related parts shortages I was forced into a Boss unit maybe 18 months ago. It was far better than I expected and eventually I installed two more of them. The main interface is pretty mediocre, but if you're using it with Android Auto/Carplay, you basically never see that anyway.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I try to steer clear of the cheaper flea market head units like Boss, Power Acoustik, etc. My past experience with them, even the touch screens, were like MS-DOS compared to Windows 10, just not very good in comparison.
Using both MS-DOS and Win10 nearly every day, I'm not sure which is the bad comparison? :unsure:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I put an Atoto head unit with backup camera on my '00 Explorer a few years ago, it's been ok but if you have your phone in your pocket it looses bluetooth connection within about 10' of the rig... and it's been degrading over the years...

l put Boss speakers in my '97 Ranger when the factory units gave out in the doors, for $40 as the cheapest I found on amazon at the time I'm not upset, they sound better than the factory ones did 2 years ago when I got it...

I put a Boss head unit in my '97 F350, simple $40 deal with bluetooth and whatnot but no CD, The OBS trucks are single DIN so a little different but it's fine, there's some stupid issues I had with it where the first two times I powered it up I had to unplug the speaker connector then plug it in with the stereo on before it would play sound for whatever reason but it worked after those 2 times... I'm sure that's a fluke though...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put in a Jensen CAR710W recently. It is the least expensive wireless CarPlay/Android Auto unit I can find. It is fully capable and AA works just great wirelessly so I can listen to Spotify and use Google maps with my phone in my pocket. The only things I don't like are: no volume knob (nearly impossible to find now) and it takes about 20 seconds to boot up when I start the vehicle. I have a separate amp, so I cannot tell you how good the Jensen amp is, but the preamp is just fine. If you can live with those couple of negatives, its a very good choice.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I don’t know crap about audio and the internet is a black hole of info. I’d like to know the units that actually fit my 2004 Ranger XL. I’m considering putting new speakers in the doors as well. Any advice would be appreciated!
How much do you want to spend on an audio upgrade?

Did you have a ceiling in mind?

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In today's world, under $250 won't buy you anything worth having, imho.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i got a pioneer from walmart to put in my 04. it was something like 60-80 bucks and the mount kit and wiring adapter kit are also from walmart. works fine. i had originally bought one of those with the screen that slides out and pops up but it blocked the two center ac vents so i went to the regular old single din pioneer.

works great, hooks to my phone via bluetooth when you turn the truck on , no issues at all

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Big fan of those $60 Pioneer Single din units. Have on in my mustang and had one in my F-150. Still have the radio.

I don't really like the looks of most aftermarket double din radios. Massive screens and everything is lit up bright red or whatever. I replaced the factory speakers with some kickers and installed an upgraded version of the factory head unit with the 6 CD changer. The speakers made a big difference.

I mostly listen to the radio, so you really can't tell that big of a difference in audio quality. Only really when your listening to CDs.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Alpine type S speakers are my favorite. $100 per pair. In the car world, 5x7 and 6x8 are the same size. There are others out there, but price goes way up. Price goes down too, but there are some real pos woofers out there that are made to look prety but sound terrible.
EDIT: I've changed my mind on speaker brand after doing some shopping for my newest truck. Alpine seems to be getting expensive and quality is going down. I'd go with Image Dynamics over Alpine. They're cheaper and better i think.

A single din head unit will be $100 too. See this thread for my choices. I ended up with the Alpine, but am not too satisfied with it.
Edit: The pioneer is vastly superior to the Alpine. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It takes some cutting, but 6x9 is also possible in the back if you're up for a little tweaking. Not something I'd recommend in general, but at the time there was a set on sale for a lot less than comparable 5x7/6x8's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals