• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best 4in Lift Kit for a 1988 Ranger 4x4?

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to this community and I'm not very knowledgeable of suspension kits and systems.:icon_confused: I'm looking to lift my 4x4 88 Ranger so i can put 31/10.50/R15 under it. I was wondering what exactly i need to lift my truck, and what's the best way? I've been looking at the Skyjacker Class 1 4in Lift Kit. I'm not interested in doing extreme off roading or rock climbing. My truck is a daily driver, I'd just like to be able to go off road sometimes and mess around but still have it a daily driver. Any suggestions and help would be great! Thanks.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
skyjacker would be the way to go

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2

Skyjacker is probably about the best you can get currently. James Duff is right up there as well.

Welcome to TRS :beer:

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome, I used a rough country lift on mine. I wheel it almost every weekend never had a problem out of the lift just the d28 lol

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone! I see that skyjacker and James Duff are the best. I know the Rough Country is way cheaper, but I was reading that the ride quality was terrible? And where's the best place to get the Skyjacker Lift Kit from? I'm looking at 4WHEELONLINE.COM. Also what all do i need with the lift kit? New brake lines, steering stabilizer pitmen arm?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I say piece together a kit... I've said it several times.
I'm to lazy to type it out again let me find it

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey thank you so much for the help! And yeah i don't think i need to go that extreme. Ha Do you think the hydro shocks will be fine for just a little messin' around on some trails?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I can't remember which ones are better honestly. I always get confused. The upgraded ones are rougher and I which I didn't upgrade mine. But they are rough country. Total different game..

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Get the james duff way beefier and rides very good. softer coil springs just go with duff. Also get there shocks there susposed to do really good on and offroad.
http://jamesduff.com/

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
If you have the money to do so, go with either a Skyjacker class to kit or a James Duff full kit.

Both are the best money can buy and are complete with everything you need.

If money is more of an issue, you have options don't worry.

You could go with Tuff Country, or piece a system together. I have little experience outside of Tuff Country, Skyjacker and James Duff, so I can't vouch for the other manufacturers out there.

If you do go with TC, make sure to get a drop pitman arm and extended brakelines (check tech library).

:icon_thumby: :beer:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
also verify that tuff country does or does not include coil springs in their lift kit... if you go that route.

shows it in the pic... but look at the "note" on the page...
http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspension-kit/ford-ranger-1983-97-explorer-1991-94-lift-kits.html

tuff country does not include coils in their kit anymore. we had a member here get screwed over, bc he didn't get his... then we fought for him... and he finally got them some. i have the web screenshots of the page when it said that the coils were included... i think we are the reason they changed their website finally. lol

buy the TC kit and get xj coils could be a plus tho.

--legoms, have we said this somewhere else recently??? lol

Last edited:

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
You guys are awesome! I really do appreciate your help. I think i have my eye on the Skyjacker Class 1 Kit. I think I'll get the leafs later. But now I'll just save up for the kit. So my understanding for the kit at 4wheelonline.com can come with either the hydro or nitro shocks but pitman arm is optional and there's no brake lines option? And you said piece a system together, how do you go about doing that?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
have you tried HERE? If you look at the tab on the left you can get shocks at the same time, I ended up with the Skyjacker Nitro shocks and they seem to work fairly well, although I don't have a whole lot of drive time on the setup...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Pitman arm that's included or would be included is ok... Not great. You really need the "extreme drop pitman arm" to get your steering back right. You could deal with the one from the kit but you will probably have bumpsteer with it. What I say do is just use the pitman from the kit till you can afford a superrunner steering kit. I installed one the other day on a lifted explorer and it changed how that thing rode and drove. It's so much easier to drive now. No bumpsteer no alignment issues nothing. It's awesome. Makes me can't wait to get my setup on my b2.

As far as the brakes, just get stainless steel brakeline from somewhere.

And the link Scott gave you is a really good resource. All on one page. The lift. The brakelines. The extreme drop pitman arm. (part number FA6000)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals