• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best 2.3 to build?

TheRacer02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been looking into building an engine for my 98. I have been searching from all over hell and back to find a 2.3t long block coming up with zero at the moment. Found a few on ebay on the wrong coast and people wont ship. So my next option would be run down to the pick and pay for a complete NA 2.3 long block. I understand stock rods are good and pistons are needed.. is there any difference in 2.3 though out the years. Or is a 2.3 a 2.3? Also i can not believe how similar these engines are to the volvo b230ft (current build I am doing for my volvo truck is next)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pretty sure there is an article on 2.3 engines in the tech section or the TRS magazine.

I vaguely remember a Volvo head swap onto a 2.3, or it might have been a different ford engine.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Correct with a volvo head swap. It's doable.

If you want to build a 2.3, and have the cash, no way to go but Eslinger from the ground up. Or at least an eslinger head.

2.3s are wildly different over the years. There are some experts floating around the board.

TheRacer02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Do I want to build a 2.3 no not really was really hoping to refresh a 2.3t but seeing how I can not find a single one I have started to look into building one dont think I want to spend top dollar on anther engine build (volvos are not the most common thing to build parts are scarce and when made custom cost) and not looking to see if a volvo head fits I know they do...I come from the volvo world lmao

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Doesn't really matter year wise, there was a rumor a long time ago that the turbo blocks had higher nickel content but that was debunked at one point... in '86 the rear main seal was changed to a one piece which is nice, in '88 I think the main bearings shrunk which provides for less drag and less parasitic loss without a compromise in strength, '88 was also the first year (in Rangers) for a roller cam, '89 was the first year of the dual plug setup in Rangers ('91 in Mustangs) which is supposed to flow a little better, around '94-95 the oil pump moved from in the pan to behind the aux pulley and the distributor hole went away, and the valve stems shrunk a little then '98 was the first year of the 2.5L... That covers most of the mechanical side, pretty sure all 2.3L's had the same rods, 2.5L rods and pistons are weaker (powdered metal rods and hyperutectic pistons).

As far as trying for a turbo engine from the start it really isn't necessary, the only thing you gain is all the parts from the start... the only difference in the block is the oil return hole drilled and tapped on the passenger side... Apparently for making power you want a small journal block, I personally don't strive to own anything with a distributor so I'm not even running one. The rest of the stuff is just add on stuff anyway, the oil supply for the turbo was on a street tee at the oil pressure sender for the dash...

In short, pistons are the only real problem to find, last time I looked it was over $400 for a set of forged pistons and they weren't even recommended for forced induction! circle track parts... I have a spare '80's engine now so after I get a shop built I'll do it up better than what I'm running now...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Do I want to build a 2.3 no not really was really hoping to refresh a 2.3t but seeing how I can not find a single one I have started to look into building one dont think I want to spend top dollar on anther engine build (volvos are not the most common thing to build parts are scarce and when made custom cost) and not looking to see if a volvo head fits I know they do...I come from the volvo world lmao
You're in good company. My Ranger is part Volvo; great cars, wish they would build a pickup.

Low boost 2.3 turbo is an easy one to build; just strap a 13t in from a XC70 and drive it. They don't mind low pressure.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was driving a Volvo when I went over the side of a mountain when I was 16. Anything else I probably wouldn't be writing this.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I was driving a Volvo when I went over the side of a mountain when I was 16. Anything else I probably wouldn't be writing this.
I can believe it.

I completely gutted an XC70 at the JY when I was after the turbo. I completely disassembled the whole front clip; pulled the engine, and disassembled as much as I could.

Tangent: i frequently do this at the JY. I'll pick something I've never worked on or even driven before, and disassemble every single nut and bolt to figure out how manufacturers do stuff. It's where my appreciation for Mercedes, BMW, and Volvo came from.

If you're interested, BMW builds ok vehicles post-2002, and amazing ones pre-1996, Mercedes and Volvo? Never 'seen a bad one.

I was amazed by the architecture of the XC70. The level of craftsmanship and engineering in the frame alone was a modern marvel. It could readily fool you for a coach-built car. The frame was frame-ception. Twin wall aluminum, a frame within a frame with literally flawless tig welds. 17 anchor points locking the front diff and somehow still transom mount I5 to the body and frame.

That was a weird day. Volvo was a head on into a pole. Non lethal. Driver looked unharmed, no blood stains on the seats or airbags. Bumper could still be unbolt (couldn't remove, inner bumper tig welded to inner frame, outers bolted through inner and everything sandwiched together.

Next car I went to after the Volvo was the double fatality Pontiac I fount part of the passenger's still bloody skull plate in. Front impact into a pole. Same spot the Volvo was hit. Three engine mounts, engine in dash, transmission in seats.
Oh. And the airbags didn't deploy.
They got halfway out and failed to inflate.

F*ck you general motors. They were kids.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My Volvo was a 74 IIRC.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no.....

still ecoboost. best 2.3 is in the current ranger.....

TheRacer02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't really matter year wise, there was a rumor a long time ago that the turbo blocks had higher nickel content but that was debunked at one point... in '86 the rear main seal was changed to a one piece which is nice, in '88 I think the main bearings shrunk which provides for less drag and less parasitic loss without a compromise in strength, '88 was also the first year (in Rangers) for a roller cam, '89 was the first year of the dual plug setup in Rangers ('91 in Mustangs) which is supposed to flow a little better, around '94-95 the oil pump moved from in the pan to behind the aux pulley and the distributor hole went away, and the valve stems shrunk a little then '98 was the first year of the 2.5L... That covers most of the mechanical side, pretty sure all 2.3L's had the same rods, 2.5L rods and pistons are weaker (powdered metal rods and hyperutectic pistons).

As far as trying for a turbo engine from the start it really isn't necessary, the only thing you gain is all the parts from the start... the only difference in the block is the oil return hole drilled and tapped on the passenger side... Apparently for making power you want a small journal block, I personally don't strive to own anything with a distributor so I'm not even running one. The rest of the stuff is just add on stuff anyway, the oil supply for the turbo was on a street tee at the oil pressure sender for the dash...

In short, pistons are the only real problem to find, last time I looked it was over $400 for a set of forged pistons and they weren't even recommended for forced induction! circle track parts... I have a spare '80's engine now so after I get a shop built I'll do it up better than what I'm running now...
Thats my plan found a few 88s at my local yard might go pull one tear it down swap pistons ($400 is cheap for pistons used to seeing $700-800 for volvo pistons.) Stinger-performace has a set for $600 cnc machined cp pistons. Will then prob run megasquirt or stingers PiMP and just slam it all in tune it call it. Anything is better then the 200k sad little 120hp when brand new 2.5.

VICTORHUGO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 STOCK
Transmission
Automatic
ONLY YOU NEED IS A 4 PISTONS(FROM A 2.3 T ARE OEM FORGED)A T3 TURBO FROM EARLY TBIRD/MUSTANG/COUGAR,LATER SWITCH TO IHI TURBO(SUPPOST TO BE FOR FAST SPOOL),ECM FROM 88/89 STICK SHIFT TBIRD OR MUSTANG SVO (SUPPOST TO BE SVO IS RATED TO 190/195 HP)AND A BIG VAM(IS KINDA MAF METER)AND USE A ROLLER ROCKERS AND CAM FROM A RANGER I BUILD A ENGINE LIKE THAT.......I HAVE SITTING IN MY GARAGE FOR LIKE 3 OR 4 YEARS LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals