• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bent leafsprings

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
The truck hasn't been handling terribly weird but I bought it that way so I don't have a whole lot to compare to, sounds like a 4 link is in my future after all... Anyone know of one which would tailored to street use?

Your springs are shot. Scrap em, toss a set of huskys in. Nowadays re arching is more expensive vs new. Order a set of urethane bushings as well, and replace the rubber ones with them.

Absolutely get the heaviest rear sway bar for yours that you can find. I had a ranger one on mine that I added. Upgraded to one out of a B2, and still could use more. That weird "rear end and front end move wrong" feeling you're getting on turns is from blown springs, blown bushings, and no sway bar.

2011, factory halfer blocks, 1" lift shackle, 1750lb springs, #1 V8 expo bars, and rough country leveling keys.

DSC_0492.JPG

It's no performance car, but it holds the road very nicely. Agile for its height as well.

that electronic anti rust gizmo must have worked. the bed seam and support rails look factory fresh.
Wait what?? Tell me more....

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here is a picture of a 2011 axle block compared to the 2007 and earlier block. If you are interested, I still have them and they can be yours for the cost of shipping or we can meet if you live close enough. I’m on my phone, some details are harder to look up when posting.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Your springs are shot. Scrap em, toss a set of huskys in. Nowadays re arching is more expensive vs new. Order a set of urethane bushings as well, and replace the rubber ones with them.

Absolutely get the heaviest rear sway bar for yours that you can find. I had a ranger one on mine that I added. Upgraded to one out of a B2, and still could use more. That weird "rear end and front end move wrong" feeling you're getting on turns is from blown springs, blown bushings, and no sway bar.

2011, factory halfer blocks, 1" lift shackle, 1750lb springs, #1 V8 expo bars, and rough country leveling keys.

View attachment 42839

It's no performance car, but it holds the road very nicely. Agile for its height as well.

third paragraph, half way thru

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Would the 1750 springs provide the nicest ride on the road? At this point I'm trying to figure out where the truck would sit with explorer leafs without the lift blocks at all (if that would be possible)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The higher the load rating is in the springs, the harsher the ride is going to be.

I’m guessing that an FX4 would have 1250 lbs springs.

There are four different ratings I’ve seen out there. Either 850 or 950 (can’t remember which), 1050, 1250, and 1750. They are also listed 2/1, 3/1, and 4/1 leaf springs. The /1 is the base plate and the rest is the number of leafs in the pack.

The actual rating of the spring is higher, that is just the rating they can carry. So, depending on the spring, you carry 850/950, 1050, 1250, or 1750 pounds of weight in the bed.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's that device for you

IMG_20200601_153757.jpg

Its adhered to the truck in various locations with double sided foam tape.... All it's good for is killing batteries... The science behind it (if it worked) is that of rust removal through electrolysis. This device however lacks both a sacrificial material, and an electrolyte. The short answer, it neither works in the physics world, nor the real world.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Here's that device for you

View attachment 43294

Its adhered to the truck in various locations with double sided foam tape.... All it's good for is killing batteries... The science behind it (if it worked) is that of rust removal through electrolysis. This device however lacks both a sacrificial material, and an electrolyte. The short answer, it neither works in the physics world, nor the real world.
Oh and I suppose you think these don't work either. :rolleyes:

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh and I suppose you think these don't work either. :rolleyes:

Not quite as well, the lights go out when you turn the ignition off, the hardwired ones are by far the best bang for your buck if you like being stranded

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals