• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bent Bumper Repair

Five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Use it for everything it's not meant for
So I got into a bit of a fender bender yesterday (4/21/16) and I rear ended a sedan, I think it was either a dodge dart or chevy malibu or something of that nature. Anyway the damage to my truck, I drive a 99 Ranger XLT, was minimal except for the driver's side of the front bumper is bent down significantly, drivable and isn't terrible but is unsitly and my valence catches my tire. I was posting about a way to fix this, I have yet to take my bumper off to see if the brackets are bent to but the bumper definitely is. Any feedback is greatly appreciated and i'll try to add pictures later, thanks again!

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
By the way it sounds, not only are the bumper brackets bent but, the frame horns may be as well. No way to tell for sure until you take the bumper off. If they are and aren't in too bad of shape you should be able to bend them back or...... just cut them off and build a custom bumper!

Five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Use it for everything it's not meant for
Thanks for the reply, the frame horns if bent are only slightly but the real problem is entire bumper itself, the passenger side of the bumper in fine and not damaged but the driver's side of the bumper is bent down, I thought about just attaching something to the bumper and trying to pull it back up and into place, but not sure if that's smart. Don't want to make it worse.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Had to replace the bumper on my Ranger last fall. (Wife tried to take out a guard rail after panic stopping in it) and it was only 55 bucks for an entire bumper assembly in excellent condition at the local pull a part. Took 20 min to replace it. 4 bolts and a little tweaking to make it level.

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

cdxhizors

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My truck I purchased as a wrecked clean title truck.. Later to find out it rear ended a parked car at 50 mph.. Bent the front drivers side axle beam, bumper, radius arm and bracket, and dented the fender. Frame horns never got harmed. Air bags never deployed. I'd replace the bumper on yours. It's not hard. 4 18mm bolts. 3/4 on older ones.

I fixed this one up for a couple hundred bucks. Damage was probably way worse than yours.

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Actually they are 18 on my 97, and 21mm on the 94 that I removed the bumper from. Your bumper looked worse than mine. Those frame rails are pretty sturdy, so if you didn't blow the airbags, you are probably all right

AJ

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 while sitting in my underwear

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Take it off so you don't screw up the tire. And start cruising the yards!! You will find what you need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals