• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bench seat/sub box in Ex-cab ranger....?

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My new endeavor.....I want a couple subs in my truck. I don't crank them, but they add to the rock sound, and I like them. Problem is, I have kids that occupy the seats in back, so a big bulky box is out of the question. I saw a guy on Craigslist about a year ago selling a custom box that ran the width of the truck, mounted where the jump seats do, and contained 3 downfiring 10" subs. I am thinking of building one of these (Since I can't find this guy again) and making it into a bench seat for the kiddos. I would put belts on the floor and make it safe and stuff....after all, I do love my kids and want them safe.....but I am curious as to what you guys think.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
As long as you have the right square footage inside the box, and it's all bolted down flat you will be a-ok.

I used to run a 10" sub in a wedge-shaped box that fit behind the driver's seat in my extended cab.

Time to break out the tape measure, calculator and notepaper :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And just where are you going to bolt these proposed seat belts down that they will have the needed anchorage to hold a child still in an accident?

How high is this thing going to be? High enough that their heads are now up level with the window? High enough that in a few years they won't even fit in the back seat anymore (let me tell you, it doesn't take a lot of height to do that)?

Which way are you intending for them to face once this sub-seat is in? Are they going to face inward and sit with their legs straight out like they were on the floor, or are you going to try and have them face forward so they have no leg room and their heads are being bashed into the back window if you get hit?

I am pretty sure that this will work very poorly if at all. Really kinda sounds to me like you are putting your wants ahead of your kids' needs.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And just where are you going to bolt these proposed seat belts down that they will have the needed anchorage to hold a child still in an accident?

Ok, I will answer.

I haven't looked into where to mount the belts, hence me putting it up here to get people's opinions.

How high is this thing going to be? High enough that their heads are now up level with the window? High enough that in a few years they won't even fit in the back seat anymore (let me tell you, it doesn't take a lot of height to do that)?

My kids heads are already up with the window sitting in the factory seats, so that is a moot point.

Which way are you intending for them to face once this sub-seat is in? Are they going to face inward and sit with their legs straight out like they were on the floor, or are you going to try and have them face forward so they have no leg room and their heads are being bashed into the back window if you get hit?

They are going to sit facing forward, like a bench seat

I am pretty sure that this will work very poorly if at all. Really kinda sounds to me like you are putting your wants ahead of your kids' needs.
I am pretty sure you don't know the level of my fabrication skills, so you should keep your stupid comments to yourself. I keep forgetting that with every helpful comment on this forum, you get one from someone that gets their rock off in telling other people they suck. My kids come first, or I wouldn't worry about where they sit.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Here is another option to think about. Look into putting your subs under the front seats. No clue if it will work in a Ranger, but I'm running an 8" sub under each of my front seats in my Nissan Titan. Works perfect, and no loss of useable space.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals