• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bellhousing Bolt Patterns for 2.3 and 3.0 M5OD Transmissions: Dimensioned!

ludicrouspeed69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
I spent a lot of time looking for dimensioned drawings or CAD models of the transmission bolt patterns (for reasons). None existed as far as I could tell. I tried perspective flattening, tracing, and scaling images from google, but was having a hard time trusting them. Finally I had the opportunity to make a rubbing of my 2.3L M5OD when I had it out of the truck last weekend to replace my slave, clutch, pressure plate etc and I went ahead and made a dimensioned "drawing".
I can't use CATIA anymore so these are pretty terrible "drawings" just from Fusion's sketcher (free version doesnt let me make real engineering drawings) so sorry about that.
My friend with a 3.0 truck also had his transmission out the other week and I got the dimensions for the top 6 holes from him; but pay in mind, I did have to get the starter bolt hole locations for the 3.0 drawing by tracing images, so I can't guarantee their placement's accuracy past probably ~1/4".
The top (engine) holes in the 2.3 drawing will be exactly the same for any 2.3 Lima engine, and the 3.0 drawing's the same for any Vulcan. However, auto trannys may have had different placement on the bottom (bellhousing -> starter and plate) holes, so don't assume ;)
The 2.3 drawing is from a 1993 truck and the 3.0 from a 94.
Let me know if you want a .stp of the whole outline of the 2.3 bellhousing. it is pretty close to the real shape, at least as close as my $20 calipers from college could get me. Hope these help somebody.
ps. starter is on the passenger side in the 2.3, vs. on the driver's side on the 3.0, so the 2.3 drawing is shown "looking towards the back of the truck" (at the front of the tranny) while the 3.0 one is looking towards the front of the truck. I think it's on the driver side too on the 4.0 but cant remember. When I get the opportunity I'll work on making a drawing for the 4.0 as well but have no idea when/if I'll have one apart

Attachments

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You know who will use this information more than anyone else? People converting their trucks to electric and needing to make an adapter for the motor.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Nice drawings. Thank you for sharing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I spent a lot of time looking for dimensioned drawings or CAD models of the transmission bolt patterns (for reasons). None existed as far as I could tell. I tried perspective flattening, tracing, and scaling images from google, but was having a hard time trusting them. Finally I had the opportunity to make a rubbing of my 2.3L M5OD when I had it out of the truck last weekend to replace my slave, clutch, pressure plate etc and I went ahead and made a dimensioned "drawing".
I can't use CATIA anymore so these are pretty terrible "drawings" just from Fusion's sketcher (free version doesnt let me make real engineering drawings) so sorry about that.
My friend with a 3.0 truck also had his transmission out the other week and I got the dimensions for the top 6 holes from him; but pay in mind, I did have to get the starter bolt hole locations for the 3.0 drawing by tracing images, so I can't guarantee their placement's accuracy past probably ~1/4".
The top (engine) holes in the 2.3 drawing will be exactly the same for any 2.3 Lima engine, and the 3.0 drawing's the same for any Vulcan. However, auto trannys may have had different placement on the bottom (bellhousing -> starter and plate) holes, so don't assume ;)
The 2.3 drawing is from a 1993 truck and the 3.0 from a 94.
Let me know if you want a .stp of the whole outline of the 2.3 bellhousing. it is pretty close to the real shape, at least as close as my $20 calipers from college could get me. Hope these help somebody.
ps. starter is on the passenger side in the 2.3, vs. on the driver's side on the 3.0, so the 2.3 drawing is shown "looking towards the back of the truck" (at the front of the tranny) while the 3.0 one is looking towards the front of the truck. I think it's on the driver side too on the 4.0 but cant remember. When I get the opportunity I'll work on making a drawing for the 4.0 as well but have no idea when/if I'll have one apart
I'm not sure if I would ever use it, but I'll take a copy of the STP file.
Thanks!

ludicrouspeed69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
You know who will use this information more than anyone else? People converting their trucks to electric and needing to make an adapter for the motor.
Bet you're right! Or hopefully for something like a 1.9 TDI swap, haha. That's my plan one day, whenever I find a 4x4 truck with a blown motor :p

ludicrouspeed69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals