• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bell housing/ transmission questions

Josh222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking at replacing the old worn out and finicky 4D55 Mitsubishi engine in my truck with the 1.9TDI out of my Jetta. The bell housing adapters available are made for the 3L and 4L engines. My truck currently has a FM145 transmission with which I assume is a 4D55 specific transmission bellhousing but this transmission was also used on the 2.9L V6. Is the bell housing bolt patterns the same between the 2.9L and 3L or 4L? If I end up needing to get a M5OD transmission from a 3L or 4L truck will the old BW1350 transfer case I have now bolt up to it so I can keep the mechanical speedo working.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.9l and 4.0l used same block so have same bellhousing pattern
3.0l is unique, no match to any other engine

M5OD-R1 has integrated bell housing, non-removable, so is engine specific.
4WD and 2WD transmissions have different tail shaft lengths and housing so are also vehicle specific

BW1350 or 1354 will bolt to any Ranger 4x4 transmission, not year or model specific
Drive shaft lengths and connections can be year and model specific as transmission lengths change with model, so transfer case distances from axles change.

There have been a few TDI conversions I would check out their transmission choices, not sure if any were 4x4?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals