• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Being Prepared in an older RBV

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dirtman, I just know you carry a half dozen cans of "Chowdah" in your truck...
Are you saying you wouldn't even part with one to help a starving guy in a broke down rig, who didn't bring any food with him ???
:icon_surprised:
Grumpaw
Probably depends on how long said can has been open...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you saying you wouldn't even part with one to help a starving guy in a broke down rig, who didn't bring any food with him ???
Grumpaw
But what would Dirtman be teaching this starving man?

"Give a man a fish and he eats today, teach a man to fish and he eats the rest of his life"

So.........................don't feed the dumb b*stard and maybe he'll learn to bring his own "Chowdah" next time

And I am also not for teaching him to fish, in MY fishing spot, let him find his own spot
Not being cold-hearted just "teaching" a lesson :)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Grumpaw
No. First rule of survival... the smart and prepared win. When I was an EMT we each had our own go bag. Mine was 3 times the size of anyone elses. Obviously the ambulance had everything but when your first on a scene before an ambulance that extra crap counts. Granted that was literally for someone else. But I was trained by a veitnam sapper in survival. Your ass gonna die in the woods if it comes down to me sharing with you. Toughest go on to fight.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dirtman doesn't need no rubber, the chowdah sterilized him long ago.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
WOW !!! You guys are hard...really hard !!!
:shok:
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dirtman doesn't need no rubber, the chowdah sterilized him long ago.
You could be very right... when i go clamming there is basically no where left in NJ that isn't a warning zone for shellfish. Shellfish absorb all the toxic crap first. I eat at least 200 NJ clams a year and probably 3 or 4 bushels of blue claw from those toxic waters. Plus god knows how many pounds of fish. My diet from April-September is 75% sea creatures.

I love bladderack too, I eat it right off the beach.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My EDC list for my Gen 1s when they were stock were:

2 spare TFIs and the TFI tool, a starter, a high pressure fuel pump, a cheap tool kit with wrenches and socket set, some screw drivers, and a cheap DVOM, in addition to the things it came with, like a spare tire and jack.

Now my list is largely the same, but the TFIs and the associated tools have been replaced with EDIS modules and a handful of relays. The Ranger also gets a spare dimmer switch kept on board. I also have both wired to quickly install my CB on either vehicle, but I usually only take it if I know I'll be in areas with poor cell coverage.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm a greedy jerk. I absolutely hate people who are unprepared for even the most minor inconveniences. If you travel with me you've got a better chance calling the red cross than borrowing my stuff.

You break an axle or something crazy that's different, but you come on a day trip and dont even bring water your drinking from a puddle. And you get one shot at me towing you out of a mud puddle. You go back and try the same hole again and get stuck a second time... your truck lives in that hole now. Not worth my truck to save yours because you wanna be an idiot.
I agree for the most part. But I am not that unprepared. A day of mild forest service roads just a few miles from home does not require the same preparedness as a weekend at Moab. I am willing to share what I have. I will not retry an impossible obstacle. I will listen to advice from those I respect who are with me on the trail. I try not to be the stupid careless idiot. I try to evaluate each situation and act accordingly.

At the trail ride, I was a bit more aggressive than normal. I knew I was with a good group of friends and we were not out in the middle of the wilderness, hundreds of miles from civilization. I believe I still made good decisions that weekend and I learned and gained good experience from the challenges I took on. I had lots of tools and supplies with me that never got used. But I wouldn't leave any of those things behind on another similar outing.

And yes, there are idiots out there as you have inferred who don't give any serious thought to preparation. I know. I have met them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree for the most part. But I am not that unprepared. A day of mild forest service roads just a few miles from home does not require the same preparedness as a weekend at Moab. I am willing to share what I have. I will not retry an impossible obstacle. I will listen to advice from those I respect who are with me on the trail. I try not to be the stupid careless idiot. I try to evaluate each situation and act accordingly.

At the trail ride, I was a bit more aggressive than normal. I knew I was with a good group of friends and we were not out in the middle of the wilderness, hundreds of miles from civilization. I believe I still made good decisions that weekend and I learned and gained good experience from the challenges I took on. I had lots of tools and supplies with me that never got used. But I wouldn't leave any of those things behind on another similar outing.
Same.

I was loaded for bear because I had a really long drive in a more or less experimental truck too.

An hour from home on tame roads... my loadout would be a lot lighter.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That reminds me, tin foil. I keep a folded up section of tin foil in all my kits. It packs tiny and you can use it to boil water, cook fish, folded up tight it can patch an exhaust leak, tin foil is next to duck tape on my list of stuff with a million uses.

My wallet has duck tape, 100lb spectra line, a razor blade, matches, hot glue, fish hooks, tin foil, and 3 dollars.
You can't buy anything with that $3 bill.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
WOW !!! You guys are hard...really hard !!!
:shok:
Grumpaw
That’s what she said!
But seriously, pack one of those radios people mentioned and file a trip plan with someone before you leave. Make sure the trip plan says what channel you’ll be on with the radio.
Always pack a knife and a fire starter.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only dirtman mentioned it, and it was in the right spot on his list...
#1 First aid kit.
Also take a first aid course so you know how to use it properly.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would highly recommend you look at Ronny Dahl and 4XOverland on youtube. They go over the subject in detail. More Ronny Dahl than 4XOverland but both do long and/or extensive overlanding and off road trips. If anyone is an expert on what you should and shouldn't have, they would be. Not that the lists provided here are bad or out of line.

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That reminds me, tin foil. I keep a folded up section of tin foil in all my kits. It packs tiny and you can use it to boil water, cook fish, folded up tight it can patch an exhaust leak, tin foil is next to duck tape on my list of stuff with a million uses.

My wallet has duck tape, 100lb spectra line, a razor blade, matches, hot glue, fish hooks, tin foil, and 3 dollars.
I bet the airport loves you. is your wallet made of duct tape too or is it made with glue sticks? Sometimes when I read your posts I imagine a hobo digging stuff out of their satchel-on-a-stick haha! Maybe this is why you are so stingy? lol. JK it's all good fun and you know it. lol.

First aid kit is definitely a must. I forgot all about that. Harbor Freight sells a good one and it goes on sale for $10 from time to time. I have 2 and it has a LOT of the basic stuff and stuff you will never use either lol. I'm certified in CPR and first aid through the Red Cross so I don't think about packing stuff like that since my knowledge would be the stuff in first aid kits.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I fly I mail everything overnight insured mail (usually cost more than the flight). The only thing I bring to the airport is a drivers license, credit card, boarding bass, phone, and charger. I have priority boarding most places so dont worry about belts and shoes. But if I go through places without priority I wear sweat pants and flip flops. Full hobo style... but I'm through security in 5 seconds.

The only awesome part of the one time I took the train was ZERO security. I had knives, tools, etc in my bag. No one cares. No security at all. I could have brought a couple of my guns.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals