• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Being Prepared in an older RBV

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Specialty stuff - these are the essential things that IMO you cannot live without in an old RBV

12mm 12 point wrench for driveshaft bolts
T30 Torx socket/bit/whatever for front driveshaft bolts
Spindle nut socket for the front axle, in case you need to mess with wheel bearings
Breaker bar for ^ that
Spare lockout hub

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What are everyone's thoughts on a CB radio in places with NO cell signal. Would I be able to get ahold of some one (law enforcement, park rangers, etc) for help?

Edit: meant to say no cell signal

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't know anyone who uses a CB anymore. Locally, we're using FRS/GMRS radios (the little handheld Baofeng ones you can get on Amazon.) They seem to reach out much better than CB. But there's a billion frequencies you can transmit on... the chances of finding someone listening is slim to none.

CB was a much better option when everyone and their mother was using it. I'd almost rather use smoke signals or something these days.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I adjust the list for where I expect to be and how many other well prepared people I will be with.
I'm a greedy jerk. I absolutely hate people who are unprepared for even the most minor inconveniences. If you travel with me you've got a better chance calling the red cross than borrowing my stuff.

You break an axle or something crazy that's different, but you come on a day trip and dont even bring water your drinking from a puddle. And you get one shot at me towing you out of a mud puddle. You go back and try the same hole again and get stuck a second time... your truck lives in that hole now. Not worth my truck to save yours because you wanna be an idiot.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A CB is handy on the highway, truckers still use it and they tell each other about accidents and whatnot.

I have had a CB in my dd for years. Never said a word on it I just lurk for road condition updates.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I use vhf and grms (walkie talkie band). 5 watt vhf has more range than any cb setup except base stations. And grms is just good for short range privacy since not many people use it. but... cell phones exist and I've never been so far out that a cell wont work for a basic call.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well you should always have winter stuff this time of year like a good blanket or two, I like moving blankets since they are thick and are good for laying on when you gotta crawl under your truck in the dirt or gravel, extra gloves and hat, fire extinguisher, rope or paracord, definitely agree with the zip ties and gorilla tape, everyone mentioned a jack but didn't mention a good 4-way to remove lug nuts, I personally keep an 18" breaker bar with a 19mm on it at all times in my truck, decent socket set (I picked up a nice 123pc socket set made by Stanley from Walmart for $45), stop and grab a free auto trader or two as they make good fire starters. Like I said, it's winter time so you don't want to get left in the cold unprepared. Throw in a folding chair and a cooler and your ready to go catch some trout.
I always keep a good heavy coat rolled up in a grocery bag in back the truck every winter, just in case the unexpected happens when I'm out in the dark somewhere and there's a cold wet northern blowing in.

You mentioned fire extinguishers, I found two this past summer at sales. I have a 10lb for the house and a 5lb in the Explorer(just haven't mounted it yet

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A lot of rural South Dakota does not have good cell service or only certain carriers. There are huge swaths of land where I just do not have Verizon service at all, it's not like the old days where one bar would at least get a text out... there is just NOTHING. But AT&T might work fine or vise versa. The surrounding area in WY, NE, MT and ND are in the same boat. Even out in the hills, you can drop down into a canyon and have nothing just a few feet in (or it might work great.) Cell is just not something I count on anymore, if I'm out, I better be prepared to stay put for a while.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I got a couple of those fire balls Christmas. Your suppose to just open the hood and lob it in or throw it in the fire. Or you can just mount them permanently in the engine bay. When fire hits them they explode fire goo...

Haven't tested them yet. :dunno:

712acNkE1GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Some great recommendations above...but a couple things I didn't see...

Spare ammo...

And in case you can't fix it... a good fitting pair of hiking boots.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fishing poles and tackle :)
Matches
Knife and flint
Frying pan and coffee/pot as luxury items

Then just sit back and eat good until they find you

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fishing poles and tackle :)
Matches
Knife and flint
Frying pan and coffee/pot as luxury items

Then just sit back and eat good until they find you
That reminds me, tin foil. I keep a folded up section of tin foil in all my kits. It packs tiny and you can use it to boil water, cook fish, folded up tight it can patch an exhaust leak, tin foil is next to duck tape on my list of stuff with a million uses.

My wallet has duck tape, 100lb spectra line, a razor blade, matches, hot glue, fish hooks, tin foil, and 3 dollars.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
My wallet has duck tape, 100lb spectra line, a razor blade, matches, hot glue, fish hooks, tin foil, and 3 dollars.
No rubber? :icon_confused:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you keep a condom in your wallet you might as well just get a blood transfusion from magic johnson... condoms don't take well to being sat on for 15 years.

Or maybe I just need to get laid more often...

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I'm a greedy jerk. I absolutely hate people who are unprepared for even the most minor inconveniences. If you travel with me you've got a better chance calling the red cross than borrowing my stuff.

You break an axle or something crazy that's different, but you come on a day trip and dont even bring water your drinking from a puddle. And you get one shot at me towing you out of a mud puddle. You go back and try the same hole again and get stuck a second time... your truck lives in that hole now. Not worth my truck to save yours because you wanna be an idiot.
Dirtman, I just know you carry a half dozen cans of "Chowdah" in your truck...
Are you saying you wouldn't even part with one to help a starving guy in a broke down rig, who didn't bring any food with him ???
:icon_surprised:
Grumpaw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals