• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Been through 4 5r55e's within 4 years.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place tell me. Or if I can get more responses in another section tell me.

Here's the whole story I bought my 2000 4.0 4x4 in late 2016 with a blown motor. Put new Ford motor in 1-24-17 with 233,909 miles on truck. That (original tranny, #1) never had OD and would slam into 2nd if I didn't press the OD Off button right after I cranked it. I finally got tired of doing that and it started slipping in reverse when cold, so I put a new Ford tranny(#2) in on 12-19-18 with 251,335 on truck. That tranny died the same day leaving me stranded. Towed it to Ford dealership and they put another tranny(#3) in it, under warranty, on 1-9-19 with 251,349 miles on truck. That tranny lasted for 1 year 11 months until it started slipping/ shuddering in OD when cold. Took it to Ford and they put another tranny in (#4), under warrenty, on 1-15-21 with 267,890 on truck. This is the current tranny in it. Now it started slipping/shuddering OD occasionally when cold in the summer. Now that the outside temp is getting colder it has became more frequent and worse. It has also starting shuddering in 2nd gear through OD, with each gear change making the slipping/ shuddering more intense.

Tranny #1 lasted 251,349 miles
Tranny #2 lasted 14 miles
Tranny #3 lasted 16,182 miles
Tranny #4 has lasted about 6,500 miles so far.

I have another appointment coming up with Ford November 15th to see if It will need #5. Which will still be under warranty.
I drive very conservative. I do tow often but never over 1000 lbs.
Any thoughts of what could be causing all of this other than junky Ford trannys?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Ford(like all vehicle makers) did have some bad transmissions, lol

But the A4LD, 4R55E and 5R55E wasn't one of them, this trans was used for 27 years in Rangers and a few other Ford models
All automatics will have issues, just the nature of interdependent system, there are 50 ways for it to not work and only 1 way for it to work

Can't explain your problems specifically, but they seem to be pressure related, which 99% of automatic issues are in any case

Have them check the bellhousing alignment dowels on engine block, if they are worn then that could cause a vibration, very slight, that's effecting transmission, although I would expect a front seal leak

Are they flushing the trans cooler and torque converter before installing rebuilt transmission

Are they testing the pressure AFTER its installed, there is an adjustable EPC solenoid on the 4Rs and 5Rs, it regulates pressure

Tranny #1 is about the miles you would/should expect on any automatic, over 300k is a bonus but possible

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Ford(like all vehicle makers) did have some bad transmissions, lol

But the A4LD, 4R55E and 5R55E wasn't one of them, this trans was used for 27 years in Rangers and a few other Ford models
All automatics will have issues, just the nature of interdependent system, there are 50 ways for it to not work and only 1 way for it to work

Can't explain your problems specifically, but they seem to be pressure related, which 99% of automatic issues are in any case

Have them check the bellhousing alignment dowels on engine block, if they are worn then that could cause a vibration, very slight, that's effecting transmission, although I would expect a front seal leak

Are they flushing the trans cooler and torque converter before installing rebuilt transmission

Are they testing the pressure AFTER its installed, there is an adjustable EPC solenoid on the 4Rs and 5Rs, it regulates pressure

Tranny #1 is about the miles you would/should expect on any automatic, over 300k is a bonus but possible
Thanks for replying, I agree on these trannys being good, I have 2 94 explorers with a4ld, one with 99,900 miles and one with 122,000 miles and never had a problem. I've thought it may be torque convertor related also. But I thought the torque converter was included in with the new tranny.
I do know that they exchange the fluid fully out of the lines etc...

My grandfather worked at this Ford dealership for 15 years until he retired around 2005 so we still have some contacts there. They told us that ford does not actually rebuild the trannys themselves but has some sort of a contract through another tranny company (I don't remember the name). That rebuild them for them.

The last time I was at the dealership when taking the dieing #3 tranny in. They main tranny guy that was there when my grandfather was there actually took the tranny apart and was just going repalce parts, but he seen too much wear on a lot of parts that he said it was better to replace the whole thing. Which is why I questioned the quality of the trannys when that one was too far worn with 16,000 miles on it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe traNs fluid blockage in the lines in radiator or in external cooler, or maybe the vss vehicle speed sensor that bolts on top of the differential....i would think its not bad transmissions but rather something on your truck that has to INTERACT with each new tranny

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree with Burnsy and suspect a restricted cooler or cooler line. We always flushed the cooler and lines before connecting them to a new or rebuilt transmission and had extremely few failures. A4LDs died early and often in Aerostars but weren't a problem in Rangers. I worked at the dealer form 10/27/75 until 5/31/17 and could count the remans installed in Rangers and Explorers on my fingers. Mostly we'd get remans installed by outside shops that had problems. One had a front seal leak because the "tech" who installed it broke the ear with the locating dowel off the engine block.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe traNs fluid blockage in the lines in radiator or in external cooler, or maybe the vss vehicle speed sensor that bolts on top of the differential....i would think its not bad transmissions but rather something on your truck that has to INTERACT with each new tranny
When I had problems with the first transmission (the original), I put a new speed sensor on but it made no change.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If it would be a restricted cooler line, the question is why does it only do it when the tranny is still cold in the morning.
I've pulled 2 four wheelers up to the mountains (of nc) several times and it has never missed a lick once.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If it would be a restricted cooler line, the question is why does it only do it when the tranny is still cold in the morning.
I've pulled 2 four wheelers up to the mountains (of nc) several times and it has never missed a lick once.
A restricted cooler or line wouldn't cause symptoms on it's own, it would cause transmission damage and that would cause symptoms. The return line feeds the rear of the trans and provides lubrication, insufficient lube causes wear, scoring, and expense.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
A restricted cooler or line wouldn't cause symptoms on it's own, it would cause transmission damage and that would cause symptoms. The return line feeds the rear of the trans and provides lubrication, insufficient lube causes wear, scoring, and expense.
Ok, that makes sense. I will bring this suggestion up when I talk to them on Monday. I will give an update.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I dropped the truck off today and as I was showing the actual mechanic some videos I had took when the truck was having the problem, he mentioned a clogged line before I brought it up (so that gives me hope). He said when they change trannys, they do flush the lines but he said he will do a test to see if a certain amount of fluid comes out in a certain amount of time. If it don't, that means there is a clog somewhere. So we'll see.

Running a Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: I just now got my truck back today with absolutely nothing accomplished. The truck never would do the problem the 10+ times the mechanic drove it over the last 2 months. He said that the videos I showed him would not be accepted by Ford, but he himself would have to experience the problem. He also said that they do in fact flush the lines when they change the tranny. I've got until about October until the warrenty runs out, so we might have to play tug of war with the tractor until something breaks LOL (I'm just kidding)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Depending on failure...I replace the coolers and lines......radiator as well if need be.

. Within stock use...and no towing with ok maintenance....I do expect 200 to 250 k miles.

That said.

The a4ld is a giant pile of shit. It was a giant failure on the drafting table....

If you abuse them... Say a typical teenager with 35 in tires....not off roading....just driving. Maybe 20k miles.

Because they are garbage. When you are building them... You just shake your head in disgust.

Getting any good hard parts right now is not happening. You have to get lucky. Most remans are not containing the proper hard parts.

4r70, I would never had guessed an issue...let alone 6r80 which is in production and locally built. Need a valve body that's Dyno proven....good luck.

Those are great transmissions.

À4ld and it's bastardized off spring

Trash.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I worked at a transmission shop doing R&R's. As mentioned, it is important to blow out the cooler lines and a few other things to ensure proper installation. Another important thing is fluid type and amount. Also the torque converter must be fully seated, which does take some attention. The dowels and alignment is also key.
If you have been dealing with the same dealer, maybe have it done somewhere else this time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals