• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Becoming a better welder...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Lighting makes a huge difference, I usually have a LED flashlight or two focused on the spot I'm welding if it's indoors.

Now that you're running gas, you'll never want to go back to flux core. I keep a small roll of it on hand for emergencies but I hope I never have to use it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Lighting makes a huge difference, I usually have a LED flashlight or two focused on the spot I'm welding if it's indoors.

Now that you're running gas, you'll never want to go back to flux core. I keep a small roll of it on hand for emergencies but I hope I never have to use it.

Amen... solid wire and shielding gas is the only way I ever want to weld.

I bought a small roll of flux core to mess with when I first bought the machine. It came off and will now be for that emergency you speak of. I'm actually thinking about picking up another 55 cf tank... just in case I run out... I can just connect the next one. Honestly... two of the 55 cf tanks filled would be cheaper then the 80 cf tank I priced locally.

I can see way better this way... I have also been using a 100 watt bulb to put some light on the subject. I'm bummed though... I broke my dedicated reading glasses back when I first got the welder. I have another pair of single vision normal glasses in the exact frames I bought when I got my readers and I plan to change lenses. Trouble is... I don't remember where I put them. I'm off work today I need to go on a mission to find them.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm pretty sure I have an 80cf tank. Cost me right around $300 to buy it, full, from Matheson... and it's like $30-40, IIRC, to have it filled with 75/25.

80cf lasts me quite a while. I weld a good bit and I only fill maybe once a year. That equates out to probably one tank per two 10lb rolls of wire. I have the gas set as low as possible, somewhere around 10psi.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think the 80 cf tank was short of $300 but not by a bunch. That is why I jumped at a 55 ct for $102. I was quoted $16 to exchange. All I know is I'm happy to have it. For as much as i will use it... the 55 cf tank may last me a year. I think my Hobart manual suggested to regulate the gas @20psi. I would hate to think I'm using twice as much as I need... I should probably research this a little and see what I can find.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You kinda have to play with the gas. 10psi is a happy place for me, however, my buddy has the same welder and runs around 20-25. Sometimes if I get porosity issues and I've done my part with prep work I will bump the gas up... also if you have any air movement in the shop, you may need to run higher pressure too so it doesn't get blown off your weld as fast.

$102 is a great deal for that tank. I probably would have gone that route too.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
has anyone tried weldfabulous.com?
i need to bigger cylinder and found this.
gotta call praxair and see if they will refill or exchange.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would be curious what it costs to ship it...

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Finally got some time to call around and it's actually cheaper here in Vegas to get it local. 300.00 out the door for a full 125 CF cylinder and 50.00 for exchange.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's not bad. 125cf would last me quite a while.

I like dealing with Matheson because I technically own the tank but never have to have it inspected... I just exchange it for a full one. Some of the other welding shops will fill cheaper but they make you "rent" the tank from them.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
Exactly. I will own the tank not interested in the rental crap. I'm sure this will last me 9-12 months so 50 for the exchange isn't bad.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah... I didn't feel bad buying the 55cf tank for the price I paid. I'm gonna wait and see how long it lasts... but I have a feeling I will just end up with two 55cf tanks. 110cf of 75/25 for $204... it seems like a no brainer.

My next order of business is to find a reasonable steel supplier. I found a guy on craigslist selling full sheets of stainless but in the background of the pictures I could see racks of all different metal stuff. So I dropped him an email and said I didn't need sheets of stainless but asked him if he might be able to help me out with some square tube to build a tire carrier and some scrap pieces to practice with my new welder. He replied... I have everything you need and to bring a bucket for some scrap. He did say he was headed camping for the weekend but to stop and see him on Monday. Bingo... at least I can get what I need to build my carrier and see how his prices are.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals