• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Because I really needed another vehicle

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
That is a nice looking truck to me! I'd love to find one like that around here.

I had that same steering wheel cover on my 75 Granada.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Congratulations! Nice! ?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
It appears you have a windmill fetish...

Uncle Gump <------ Totally jealous of the view out the end of your driveway.

Pretty nice truck too!
Those were my grandfather's doings LOL. Sadly no snow, so the view is pretty dull and boring right now.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
That is a nice looking truck to me! I'd love to find one like that around here.

I had that same steering wheel cover on my 75 Granada.
It needs to be cleaned up and the seat shampooed but other than that its really not in bad shape, several spots where the paint/clear coat are gone, but just a couple very small places of surface rust which I think would easily be sanded down and repainted...no frame rust either.

That steering wheel cover is gone I just put a new one on it as most of the old one was torn and missing chunks out of it.

It goes into the shop next week to have a thorough going over, probably new shocks for sure, possibly new brakes, on the initial checksheet it showed 20% front brake pad remaining, but the brakes seem to need new rotors anyhow kind of shakes around when on the brakes somewhat heavily so those are going to get replaced. A couple of very minor oil leaks (rear main, and oil filter housing). Starts up, runs and drives great other than that weird fuel issue on the highway I've had it happen twice now. Today it ran and drove great, no fuel issue at all I did put some fuel system cleaner in it yesterday but I don't think that has anything to do with the real problem, given that the fuel filter/reservoir under the driver's side by the fuel pump shows signs of leaking and I can smell fuel, I wonder if its sucking air, my bronco 2 had similar symptoms when the fuel pump and that reservoir failed. That's getting fixed really soon.

So far I really like the truck, the manual transmission is a nice plus too. Pretty simple and straight forward...was really wanting a 4WD Ranger but this will do since the Bronco 2 and my Jeep are both 4WD so I can drive one of them if the snow gets too bad but at this point its shaping up to be another dull boring winter here LOL.

I was looking at the tires and it has Nokian Vatiiva tires on it which I guess are a snow rated all weather tire...they look brand new so hopefully its good for tires for several years....it does have a odd size on it though which is 225/70R14...probably due to having a hard time finding tires the right size, they fit and there isn't any rubbing so not a problem, just fills in the wheel wells I guess LOL.

Its a long bed, but sadly it doesn't have the dual fuel tanks like my 84 Ranger had. This one I assume has a 17 gallon tank, but even at that its pretty small for a pickup which was the nice thing with my 84 Ranger having dual tanks, extended its driving range quite a bit.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The odometer reads 13,871 miles, but I'm betting its 113k or 213k I highly doubt its only got 13k original miles given the interior condition and the terrible paint fading issues...but the engine is extremely quiet which is sad because the same engine in my Bronco 2 isn't anywhere near that quiet and its a fresh reman engine...maybe I should take it up to the shop that did the engine replacement and ask them why the hell its so loud compared to the same engine in my Ranger LOL. When I start my Bronco 2 it revs up to around 2k RPM when its cold, the Ranger doesn't hardly come off of idle in the cold so I find it strange.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Crank it up in cold and let it idle, it'll warm up

All the shop visits you're gonna do you might as well get a new one ;)

If you'd drop the oil in the transmission and rear end, you'd get a better idea just how many miles it's been

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Apparently Idaho doesn't salt the roads till they're white all winter like NH does, it's an 87 and it's still here. Just a suggestion: take of the bug deflector. I had an 89 F150 with similar body lines( square) that came to me with a deflector, washing the windshield at speed was impossible because the deflector made the air roll over the hood and the washer fluid would go forward and over the roof instead of on the glass. Not to mention that the wiper blades would lift off the glass. I was looking for an 83-8 short box but ended up with a 93 long box because it's not rusty. Not rusty in New England trumps all other considerations.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, people will steel what they want regardless of how easy or difficult it is. My Lightning has had a slider since day one, never been stolen. LMAO Looking to take my Ranger and get a slider put in the back, I hate the solid window. I'm a windows down, slider open kinda guy. I rarely use the ac in any of my vehicles. And the heater only on the coldest of days. Sometimes windows down, heater going full bore. LOL!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Opening that slider makes a wind tunnel that just gives the dash a good dusting and blows everything off the dashboard ;)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Opening that slider makes a wind tunnel that just gives the dash a good dusting and blows everything off the dashboard ;)
The ac in my Ranger hasn't worked for years, probably because I rarely ever used it. So yeah, the wind tunnel works for me. Been thinking to just yank all the ac stuff out and clean up the engine compartment a bit.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On the subject of "another vehicle". Yeah, was motoring around one day, wasting gas. Saw this nice looking 07 Mustang on roadside with a window sticker. Bought it cash for $6000. Dark blue with a lot of flat black on it. Hood stripe, hood scoop, R Spec rear spoiler, lower body moldings, etc. Caught my eye, so I bought it. Already changed the intake and put a Ford Racing strut tower brace on it. Another money pit! Just what I needed. LMAO!

Nice old Ranger OP.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Apparently Idaho doesn't salt the roads till they're white all winter like NH does, it's an 87 and it's still here. Just a suggestion: take of the bug deflector. I had an 89 F150 with similar body lines( square) that came to me with a deflector, washing the windshield at speed was impossible because the deflector made the air roll over the hood and the washer fluid would go forward and over the roof instead of on the glass. Not to mention that the wiper blades would lift off the glass. I was looking for an 83-8 short box but ended up with a 93 long box because it's not rusty. Not rusty in New England trumps all other considerations.
About 2 years ago they got the stupid idea to start using salt and liquid deicer on the roads here, up until then it was just sand...not sure who's idea it was to start using salt and liquid deicer but they should be shot.

Yep, the bug deflector is coming off I hate them.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Crank it up in cold and let it idle, it'll warm up

All the shop visits you're gonna do you might as well get a new one ;)

If you'd drop the oil in the transmission and rear end, you'd get a better idea just how many miles it's been
Not sure how you figure a shop visit will be more expensive than a new pile of trash "Ranger" that costs as much as an F150 and way too big and a useless pickup bed on it...not a fan of the new 3/4 sized F150's.

Only thing its going in for now is shocks, I'm not playing with those stupid bolts LOL. Everything else has already been done, or will be done here within a few hours, supposed to be 50 degrees here today, great work on the truck weather.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals