• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Because I really needed another vehicle

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The ac in my Ranger hasn't worked for years, probably because I rarely ever used it. So yeah, the wind tunnel works for me. Been thinking to just yank all the ac stuff out and clean up the engine compartment a bit.
The AC in this Ranger works, looks like a newer compressor in it, and I'm sure its R134A now, can't tell for certain its not marked anywhere.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure how you figure a shop visit will be more expensive than a new pile of trash "Ranger" that costs as much as an F150 and way too big and a useless pickup bed on it...not a fan of the new 3/4 sized F150's.

Only thing its going in for now is shocks, I'm not playing with those stupid bolts LOL. Everything else has already been done, or will be done here within a few hours, supposed to be 50 degrees here today, great work on the truck weather.
Yeah, here in central Oklahoma, going to be upper 50's today, then 60's through Thursday. Great get outside and work on vehicles weather. With a beer and a cigar on the side. ;-)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Look at the charge fittings, 134a connectors are bigger than R12's and snap on rather than screw on.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah, here in central Oklahoma, going to be upper 50's today, then 60's through Thursday. Great get outside and work on vehicles weather. With a beer and a cigar on the side. ;-)
It was 54 degrees this afternoon. Extremely weird to be outside without a jacket towards the end of December turning wrenches and not cussing at the freezing cold and/or snow/ice LOL. Got most of the stuff taken care of that needed done, I'll have the shop do the shocks and balance the tires next week. Oil was dirty, about 2k past due for an oil change according to the window sticker. Transmission was full of oil too. Going to check the rear diff tomorrow. If the rear diff doesn't look too bad I'll wait till spring to do a fluid change on it just suck out what I can and replace it, there's no leak in the rear diff seal so going to leave well enough alone with that one.

Still have the random power loss & chugging issue that comes and goes...started when I left work today, got out on the highway and got on the throttle really hard and it quit doing it, so its quiet weird. Maybe a bad fuel filter or something IDK yet on that, I really need to find a fuel pressure tester, that would really help LOL.

I found a couple of odd wires under the dash with 2 4AMP fuses that seem to go to nothing, I unhooked those and haven't found anything that isn't working so I have no idea what those wires went to. I ordered a blower motor resistor as the blower only works on high right now. Also need to pickup a horn, I have no idea what the heck horn they put in it but it doesn't do anything, I swear its like a siren type horn but it barely makes any noise at all so that thing is getting pulled out and probably find one from pick a part.

The cruise control doesn't work, no big deal, its not factory in the first place, its the type that was installed at the dealer or aftermarket that replaces the original turn signal arm.

After I unhooked those wires with the 2 fuses in them the radio sort of tries to work now but still a short in the volume and fade knobs anytime you just barely touch them it cuts out, antenna swap didn't do anything either...so I managed to confirm that it is the radio itself that's a pile of crap...gee I've had 3 of those things that were garbage I think Ford just had junk radios back then LOL. I haven't tried a cassette tape in it yet, I guess I should and see if the problem is the same with volume control and fade control. There are 2 speakers behind the seat, and I don't think they were put there at the factory? At least my 84 Ranger only had the 2 speakers in the top of the dash, so I wonder if those 2 wires went to those speakers and possibly were some sort of speaker/amp type units whatever they are they don't work anyhow and they definitely don't have any noise coming out of them at all after unhooking those 2 fused wires from the fuse panel.

The truck sat out under a tree and had sap, dirt, and grime all over the hood and roof. I got a spray bottle of Krud Cutter this afternoon and sprayed it down really good and it all wiped off very easily with a towel. I then just washed everything off really good, and made sure to hit the door, window, windshield, and back window seals really well, no leaks into the cab which is good news.

Just a few little things here and there, sure is nice having a little pickup again though, my Bronco 2 and Jeep haven't moved since I got the truck Friday LOL. Supposed to snow on Christmas eve, so I kind of want to see how those tires do, probably not well considering there's no weight in the bed LOL...may have to add some sand bags over the axle, pretty simple fix there. Rear axle is of course the standard 3.73 open differential so no help for traction there...glad its the 3.73 though, at least it gives it a little bit of towing capability, how much I have no idea, never been good at figuring that out, probably 3500lbs I'd assume at most maybe less sense it has the manual transmission. It don't have a trailer hitch on it anyhow.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Look at the charge fittings, 134a connectors are bigger than R12's and snap on rather than screw on.
This AC looks to be the dealer added system as the accumulator and that stuff isn't up by the evaporator area where it normally is, its up in front of the radiator. The AC does work, had it running today on the way home from town.

It is R134A, both the high and low side ports are on the back of the compressor not in the lines like I'm used to seeing...took me a bit to figure out HAHA.

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I may have missed it, but how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking... this looks like a really decent truck. over 30 years old, no rust AND working A/C? daaang..

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I may have missed it, but how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking... this looks like a really decent truck. over 30 years old, no rust AND working A/C? daaang..

AJ
Sorry I don't think I ever mentioned it. Paid $1,000 for it...rather donated $1,000 for it. $1,000 out the door, tax, title, everything. Bought it at the Idaho Youth Ranch car lot in Boise, Idaho. The Youth Ranch helps kids who need emergency shelter, adoption services, job training, etc. They do a lot of stuff for kids who otherwise would be living on the streets or worse.

Nope, not a bad truck for being 30+ years old. AC has been converted to R134A, so not sure how that's going to hold up, compressor looks relatively new (re-manufactured unit), and the suction and discharge lines look new as well.

Its going to be a decent run around truck once I get the weird power loss & chugging issue figured out. 02 Sensors are good, have no idea what is going on, gotta be a fuel issue, too much or too little. Odd thing is when I turn the ignition key on the fuel pump runs all the time, it doesn't run for a second or 2 and shut off like normal, so wondering if its got a weak fuel pump or sucking air from somewhere. It'll get sorted out soon, run out of daylight before I run out of things to go over...I've got 4 days off through Christmas till Sunday so it gives me some time to work on it some more. Its not going out of town till that problem is taken care of, otherwise it seems pretty dang solid. I've put almost 100 miles on it so far just running around town with it. I like it, its compact, and simple, plus it sits lower to the ground making loading and unloading stuff much easier....and with what I've got in store for this coming year it'll get used for hauling flooring materials...so far I've got a couple of home flooring jobs in the works on the side so who knows I may end up in a full time flooring business...at least it may come to that and I wouldn't really mind falling into somehow starting and owning a business. Mostly laminate flooring, but hey its a job, not my choice but when its what people are wanting installed I'll do what the customer wants....personally I'd love real hardwood flooring but dang its expensive. OOOPS derailed the post as usual sorry.

I'd kind of like to add a trailer hitch receiver at some point, to tote around a 4x8 trailer if it'll handle it. I'll probably watch the pick a part yards and just grab one from there like I did my Bronco 2 last year. Paid $20 for that one, so probably the same price for the Ranger...beats the $150+ that everywhere else wants for a new one...looks like the holes are already drilled for a receiver hitch....they weren't on my Bronco 2 so it would be a quicker install on the Ranger LOL. Then I'll have to do some wiring for the trailer lights, it does have a 4 pin plug on it already but haven't checked to see if it actually works. Found it wrapped around the rear frame rail.

I got the tree sap and grime cleaned off the hood and cab roof like I mentioned earlier, so that's a plus. It looks better for sure, and I pulled the bug shield off, I think it looks a lot better without the bug shield...I'll take the bed mat out too, don't like that flopping around back there on the highway it makes it look like its going to fly out.

Attachments

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My '85 with a 2.8 had a similar issue. I sold the truck before I figured it out, but years later I think I realized what the problem was.

I'd been driving on the highway one day, and I heard something pop under the hood. I did notice, when I looked, that a large hose that might have been supposed to be connected to another piece was no longer connected, but didn't think anything of it.

Thing was, when the engine was cold, the truck ran just fine. But, once it warmed up, it would barely run.

If you send me a picture under the hood, I can identify the part. I think it was down fairly low, right side of the block, near the firewall. It should have two large hoses coming off it (no, not the heater core).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
My '85 with a 2.8 had a similar issue. I sold the truck before I figured it out, but years later I think I realized what the problem was.

I'd been driving on the highway one day, and I heard something pop under the hood. I did notice, when I looked, that a large hose that might have been supposed to be connected to another piece was no longer connected, but didn't think anything of it.

Thing was, when the engine was cold, the truck ran just fine. But, once it warmed up, it would barely run.

If you send me a picture under the hood, I can identify the part. I think it was down fairly low, right side of the block, near the firewall. It should have two large hoses coming off it (no, not the heater core).
Looked around and didn't see anything unplugged or otherwise, I can smell a little bit of fuel from the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose which I've read is a sign that the regulator is bad but I don't think that would cause my chugging and power loss problem.

Attachments

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looked around and didn't see anything unplugged or otherwise, I can smell a little bit of fuel from the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose which I've read is a sign that the regulator is bad but I don't think that would cause my chugging and power loss problem.
In the second picture, what I'm looking for is just out of the frame, to the left (towards the right fender). If my memory is correct, it's about as deep as the exhaust manifold (seen in the picture). It has two hoses (3/4 inch approx) coming out of it at right angles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
In the second picture, what I'm looking for is just out of the frame, to the left (towards the right fender). If my memory is correct, it's about as deep as the exhaust manifold (seen in the picture). It has two hoses (3/4 inch approx) coming out of it at right angles.
Not sure, there's nothing more over there on that side other than relays...this is also a 2.9L fuel injected V6 not the 2.8L V6....you may be thinking of the exhaust re-circulation tubes that would run from the exhaust through the air pump (smog pump) to get reburned...my truck don't have any of that, sadly it has an EGR valve though. There aren't any other hoses or tubes over on that side except the air box and air inlet.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not sure, there's nothing more over there on that side other than relays...this is also a 2.9L fuel injected V6 not the 2.8L V6....you may be thinking of the exhaust re-circulation tubes that would run from the exhaust through the air pump (smog pump) to get reburned...my truck don't have any of that, sadly it has an EGR valve though. There aren't any other hoses or tubes over on that side except the air box and air inlet.
OK. I thought your truck might have the same stuff as mine did. Since it doesn't, I did a little googling: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Bad-EGR-Valve-Symptoms-and-What-to-Do-About-Them

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
OK. I thought your truck might have the same stuff as mine did. Since it doesn't, I did a little googling: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Bad-EGR-Valve-Symptoms-and-What-to-Do-About-Them
None of that seems to be the culprit. Going to check more into the fuel pressure regulator, seems like I can smell gas in that vacuum hose so I think that regulator isn't regulating and its pouring gas into the engine too quickly and too much...but the problem comes and goes its usually after driving for a while and at high speeds that it will do it.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
None of that seems to be the culprit. Going to check more into the fuel pressure regulator, seems like I can smell gas in that vacuum hose so I think that regulator isn't regulating and its pouring gas into the engine too quickly and too much...but the problem comes and goes its usually after driving for a while and at high speeds that it will do it.
Same with my '85. It came and went, but usually happened after the engine warmed up. I changed the fuel filter (no change). I don't remember if the fuel pump was changed (no, it was in the tank, so no). I suppose it *could* be a bad FPR, but I would think that it would be doing it all the time, in that case. But, my fuel pump had intermittent issues, so it could be.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Same with my '85. It came and went, but usually happened after the engine warmed up. I changed the fuel filter (no change). I don't remember if the fuel pump was changed (no, it was in the tank, so no). I suppose it *could* be a bad FPR, but I would think that it would be doing it all the time, in that case. But, my fuel pump had intermittent issues, so it could be.
Fuel pump on your 85 was on the driver's side of the engine block, no in-tank pumps, it was carbureted.

The odd thing with my Ranger is when you turn the key on, the fuel pump would normally run for a second or two then stop, if I turn the key on in the Ranger it just runs continuously so I'm thinking its fuel related for sure, possibly the wrong fuel pump, or its weak and after it warms up it can't maintain proper pressure. I need to get a dang fuel pressure gauge LOL.

Its just so odd that it only does it occasionally and not every time it gets hot...drove it around yesterday for an hour, stopped at a couple stores, came back home, never had an issue. I have no idea LOL. Can't really do much without testing anything though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals