• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bearing Mystery

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
So about a month ago i switched out my driver side wheel bearings. They got wet and i neglected them so the started clicking and whinning at me so i replaced them. So yesterday my pass side started making the same noises. So i got the bearings and seal and took it all apart to replace them only to find that the bearings didnt look to bad. Didnt seem to have anything wrong with them, but i went ahead and replaced them any way. So i take off and i hear the same clicking noise. It gets faster as i speed up, and when im going straight and give a slight right hand turn it gets louder and you can hear it kind of growl like a bearing going bad. But they are new, so could it possibly be a spindle bearing?
Or possibly a bad hub(I have manual hubs), or u-joint?
Please let me know what you guys think.
Thank you.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
First question would why didn't you just do both sides at the same time? Also with hubs, especially manuals, they're tricky. Are you absolutely sure you put them back together correctly, cleaned the old grease out, packed the new bearings and assembled everything in order with the right torque specs? Small details like that can cause problems.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
The only reason i didnt do both sides is my shortage of cash, otherwise yes i would have. I hate not doing both sides of something like this. And yes im positive i did it all right. CHecked all torques, packed the bearings real good, cleaned all the old crap out. its on there right, im sure of it. I was thinking the same thing as i reassembled it and double checked everything.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Anyone else have any ideas?

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Look under there and inspect for damage marks. If you hear clicking noises or growling noises then something is contacting something it shouldn't be. Sounds like maybe the u-joint on the passenger side half shaft. Dumb question but are you sure the hub is unlocked?

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
did you change the spindle bearing too?

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
positive its unlocked, checked that too. Lifted both tires and locked in one hub at a time and everything seems to spin correctly. I did not change the spindle bearing. Couldnt get the spindle off. When im going slow and turn hard to the right, say thirty degrees, it seems like something under there breaks loose or something and it turns real easy to the right. Then i have to overcome the same spot and it kind of breaks loose again and turns easy left. It sounds dumb but its kinda like the wheel is flopping out, then back in. nothing wrong with tie rods or anything. Could it be an extremely loose ball joint?

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
When was the last time you greased the tie rod ends? Also when you had the bearings off did you check for play in the spindle?

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a u joint binding. why coulnt you get the spindle off? you gotta beat it pretty creatively but it come out without any special tools

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
How about the slip joint in the pass side axle? Is that frozen up and binding on you?

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
greased the tie rods just a few months ago. The spindle itself didnt have plat, the shaft out the end moved forward and back a total of maybe a quarter inch, if that. I took the bolts off and beat the tar out of it on all sides with a dead blow. Its all rusted around the edge, and i figured id just put it back together and see if it was wheel bearings. Im not sure on the slip joint. Ill check, but if the hubs arent locked in why would that have an effect? Same with a u-joint. i wouldnt think it would be binding since it shouldnt be turning right?

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
ok so i just jacked up both wheels and unlocked the steering wheel. With both hubs unlocked both wheels seemed to turn back and forth fine. Then i tried to lock in the pass side hub and it was in the lock position but it just spun and clicked real fast, didnt engage. Tried a few times and the same thing, disengaged it. Went to drivers side, locked in hub. Worked fine and turned fine. unlocked it and went and locked in the pass side again. It finally locked in and spun the axle. As it spun one way it would try and steer the wheels left or right. Then spinning it the other way made it try and turn the other direction. Only did this with the hub locked. Now with it unlocked the wheel spun fine and turned left and right just fine also.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you might have some hub and u-joint issues. Have you locked the hubs and spun the tire with a hand on the joints? If they are binding it will try to pull the tire one way or the other until the joint breaks over. How far is the steering turned. If full lock, some binding is normal. If only slightly, you've got issues.

You can take the Warn hubs apart and check them out. They are pretty simple and the problem should be obvious once you have them apart.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
well with the wheels straight and pass hub locked and turning the wheel around it turns them left and right. How do you take the hub apart?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals